Postdoctoral Scholar in Localization of Networked Mobile Agents
Open date: September 15th, 2017
Last review date: January 1st, 2018
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: June 30th, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Cooperative Systems lab (Prof. S. Kia's group) at Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering department of the University of California Irvine (www.uci.edu) iscurrently accepting applications for a postdoctoral scholar position. The position includes hands-on and theoretical research.
The research will focus on cooperative localization problem for a group of mobile agents, with a special focus on human agent localization in indoor environments. We are seeking an individual with a strong background in probabilistic robotic and hands on experience in sensor development and multi-robot experiments. Specific responsibilities include development of decentralized cooperative localization algorithms as well as conceptual and physical design of demonstration testbeds.Field studies will be an integral part of the work, serving both to refine system specifications and to assess new technologies. Additional responsibilities will include design and implementation of characterization experiments, data analysis, collaboration with other researchers, preparing publications and delivering presentations for top journals and conferences, reporting to the funding agencies and periodic assistance to graduate students.
- PhD degree in computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or a related field is required.
- High quality publication record.
- Strong communication and English language skills (written and spoken).
Experience in the following would be ideal:
- Integration of embedded systems, design and testing of custom electronics, sensors, microcontrollers, firmware, etc.
- Design and implementation of distributed algorithms for networked systems
- Familiarity with ultra-wide band ranging sensors is highly desirable
- Creativity and a proactive attitude
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary teams
- Independent yet strong team player
Experience in the following would be useful, but not essential:
- Familiarity with robotics, measurements and automation software (e.g. ROS, Linux based, PLC, Labview)
Please send a CV, cover letter and a list of at least three references.The position is a one-year appointment.Renewal of the appointment will be offered to well-performing candidates contingent upon the availability of adequate funding.An immediate start date is available within two weeks of the hiring decision.
Apply by submitting your application to our online RECRUIT system at:https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04287
and also by sending an email to the following email address with the subject line "specialist appointment - cooperative localization (hardware or software)"
Prof. Solmaz S. Kia
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
University of California, Irvine
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research (Optional)
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. (Optional)
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
3-5 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now