Tenure Track Faculty Position in Solid Mechanics and Structural Materials
Open date: November 17th, 2017
Next review date: February 10th, 2018
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: June 30th, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) at UC Irvine seeks applicants for a tenure-track position in the area of Solid Mechanics and Structural Materials. Candidates should ideally demonstrate the ability to build an active interdisciplinary research program in one of the following areas where MAE seeks to broaden its research portfolio:
- Computational mechanics and materials science, including in the areas of mesoscale modeling of deformation and materials processing, data-driven approaches to materials discovery and synthesis, and multi-scale and multi-functional modeling.
- In situ and in operando experimentation, including the development and deployment of new techniques compatible with electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction methods, to leverage recent investments in materials characterization facilities at UCI.
Research approaches that combine analytical/numerical and experimental techniques are particularly desirable. The above research areas notwithstanding, MAE primarily seeks energetic and impactful researchers, and so excellent candidates with expertise in any and all areas of solid mechanics and structural materials are welcome. In addition, a commitment to teaching and mentoring students should be demonstrated.
Applicants must have earned a doctorate in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related field. This position will be at the Assistant Professor level. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Applications should be submitted electronically and should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a description of research, teaching and service interests, including ability to contribute to departmental and interdisciplinary programs. In addition, a document that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion is required. Applicants should arrange to have three letters of recommendation submitted on their behalf. To apply go to: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04380.
Review of applicants will begin on December 15, 2017. To ensure full consideration, applications and all supporting materials should be received by this time. The position will remain open until filled. Information about the department can be found at: http://engineering.uci.edu/dept/mae.
The University of California, Irvine is part of the premier public university system in the world. UCI is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), is ranked as a top ten public university by U.S. News and World Report, and was identified by the New York Times as No. 1 among U.S. universities that do the most for low-income students. UCI is located in Orange County, 4 miles from the Pacific Ocean and 45 miles south of Los Angeles. Irvine is one of the safest communities in the U.S. and offers a very pleasant year-round climate, numerous recreational and cultural opportunities, and one of the highest-ranked public school systems in the nation.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
More information about this recruitment: http://engineering.uci.edu/dept/mae
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Statement of Research
- Teaching Evaluations (Optional)
3 letters of reference required
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now