Paralegal Certificate Program Course Instructor
Open date: November 14th, 2016
Last review date: January 1st, 2018
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: March 31st, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
This is pool recruitment for classroom and online teaching positions that may become available in the Paralegal Certificate Program in Irvine, CA. We are seeking qualified instructors with current knowledge and work experience in the legal field who can create an interactive and engaging learning environment for students.
For more detailed information about the Paralegal Certificate Program and course descriptions, please visit https://ce.uci.edu/areas/legal/paralegal/
Classes are held in a variety of formats including: daytime and evening on-ground and online classes.
Course topics include:
• Fundamentals of the Paralegal Profession
• Legal Writing
• Legal Research
• Civil Litigation I
• Civil Litigation II
• Ethics for the Paralegal
• Technology Practicum for the Paralegal
• Legal Career Skills
• Bankruptcy Law
• Business Law
• Corporate Law
• Criminal Law
• Employment Law
• Family Law
• Federal Civil Procedure
• Fundamentals of Electronic Discovery and Trial
• Paralegal Internship
• Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law
• Pre-Trial, Trial & Post-Trial Procedures
• Real Estate Law
• Understanding Estate Planning
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education (DCE) Program Director as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format (evening, daytime, online or hybrid)
• Online instructors will prepare video recorded lectures and/or PowerPoint style presentations with audio, forum discussions, and webinars, among other things
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated syllabus; submitting course handouts; signing quarterly instructor contract; submitting required textbook orders; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, off-site property tours, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
UCI DCE courses are part-time, temporary assignments that are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the "pool" of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach as early as winter quarter (beginning January 2017).
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF03778
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Instructor Biographical History Form - Please complete the biographical history form by clicking this link: http://ce.uci.edu/pdfs/forms/dce-instructor-application.pdf. Upload the completed form here as an attachment
4-5 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now