Wilderness Medicine Fellowship
Open October 18th, 2017 through June 30th, 2018
The UC Irvine Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking applicants for the Wilderness Medicine Fellowship program for the start date of July 1, 2018. Clinical fellows will hold a Health Sciences Clinical Instructor title. The goal of the fellowship program is to train physicians to prepare for medical emergencies in austere environments, manage the potential medical needs of a population entering into an austere environment, and both respond and manage a broad array of emergencies that may occur in that environment. Our department includes clinical practice at a tertiary care center and a critical access island hospital. The Pacific Ocean, several mountain peaks up to 11,000 feet, and the high desert are all accessible from our campus. One or two year positions are available. Completion of a Master's degree during the 2 year fellowship program is required.
- Annual wilderness medicine field training exercise
- Annual wilderness medicine workshop
- Island medicine while staffing the Catalina Island Medical Center
- 12 Module didactic curriculum, covering core areas of wilderness medicine
- Opportunities to teach emergency medicine residents and medical student wilderness medicine
Additional Opportunities Include:
- Rotation with Diver's Alert Network (DAN)
- Marine envenomation rotation in Hawaii
- Mountain Medicine training course
- Training with local EMS, search and rescue agencies
Isabel Algaze, MD
Robert Katzer, MD, MBA
M.D. or D.O. degree, completion of an American Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accredited Emergency Medicine Residency, and Board Certified or Board Eligible in Emergency Medicine.
Salary commensurate with level of clinical work.
Submit a CV, statement of interest, and three letters of recommendation at UC Irvine's Recruit system located at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04334
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter - Statement of Interest
- Statement of Research (Optional)
- Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. (Optional)
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
3 letters of reference required
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now