Job ID 13549
Location UW Eau Claire;Eau Claire, WI
Full/Part Time Full-Time
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire seeks candidates with a solid record of distinguished academic and administrative accomplishment to apply for the position of Library Director. This is a full-time administrative position with a concurrent, tenured appointment in the Library. The anticipated start date is February 1, 2018.
The Library Director has administrative responsibility for all library services and functions. The Director holds a concurrent faculty appointment and reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Support of the University’s mission is central to the effective management of the library. The Director provides leadership and planning for UW-Eau Claire’s library services and information resources by working with academic departments, support units, administrative offices, and the other University of Wisconsin libraries. The Director works in concert with other UW System library directors to further develop and enhance the “One System, One Library” approach to the delivery of collections and services.
- Master of Library Science (or equivalent) degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Demonstrated record of relevant, progressively responsible library management experience in an academic library.
- Significant experience managing library budgets.
- Experience leading library employees in a collaborative work environment.
- Second master’s or other advanced degree in addition to the MLS.
- Experience seeking and successfully obtaining internal and external funds, grants, and/or endowments.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working with both traditional and newer technology-based library resources to support teaching, learning, and scholarship.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the needs of a diverse population and the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
- Demonstrated record of scholarship.
The Director provides effective oversight, operational direction, and coordination for the following major functions:
- Develops, communicates, and implements a library vision and strategic direction aligned with the vision and mission of UW-Eau Claire and the UW System.
- Develops and monitors the library’s annual budget to ensure appropriate expenditure of funds.
- Fosters a culture of assessment to inform evidence-based decision-making and continuous improvement.
- Leads development of innovative partnerships between the library and campus, community, and regional organizations.
- Actively cultivates fund raising opportunities, including internal and external grants, to support library operations and initiatives.
- Promotes and advocates for library programs that address the needs of students, staff, faculty, and the community.
- Serves in a department chair function in recruitment, reappointment, tenure, promotion, and salary recommendations for library faculty.
- Encourages and facilitates the professional development of all library staff to maintain a diverse, skilled, and engaged workforce.
- Engages in scholarly, professional, and service activities as defined for UW-Eau Claire faculty.
- Fosters an organizational and educational climate that promotes equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
- Embraces an environment of continuous change that supports and anticipates the evolving needs of the campus community.
- Serves as Copyright Officer for the university, advising and informing university students, faculty, and staff on fair use and copyright issues.
- Represents the university on the Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries, contributing to the shared leadership of the UW System libraries.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
To ensure priority consideration, completed applications must be received by noon on November 1, 2017. However, screening will continue until the position is filled.
Applications must be submitted electronically. For position details and directions to apply, visit: www.uwec.edu/Employment/. Search under Administrative Positions for Library Director (Job ID # 13549). Your application will require the following in PDF format:
- Letter of Application
- Names and contact information for three professional references
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, please call or e¿mail:
Ms. Trista Anderson, Program Associate
The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. A criminal background check is required prior to employment.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report (https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/job-openings/upload/AnnualSecurityandFireReport-2.pdf) . Also visit our Campus Security Authority policy (https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/job-openings/upload/CleryCompliancePolicy.pdf)
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusivity