College of Engineering: Head and Professor - Department of Physics (F1800010)
Head and Professor
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a highly accomplished scholar and strategic leader as the next Head of the Department of Physics. The department is internationally recognized for significant contributions to science, technology, and education with an illustrious history of great accomplishments. The National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences ranks the Department of Physics as one of the top 10 physics departments in the United States. The department has seven nationally recognized core programs, most notably the top-ranked condensed matter physics program.
The Department of Physics includes both undergraduate (B.S.) and graduate (M.S., Ph.D.) educational programs that prepare future physicists for careers in academia, industry, and government. Physics cultivates a collaborative, interdisciplinary research environment that involves 53 tenure system faculty and 13 specialized faculty. Moreover, the department has a vast history and record of success with its contributions to physics research and education.
The Department Head is a tenured full Professor in Physics and reports to the Dean of the College of Engineering. Applicants must have an earned Ph.D., a scholarly record commensurate with the level of a full professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and a renowned reputation in research. The position has responsibilities for leading the faculty in the development of research, teaching, and public service, as well as engaging with industry, government labs, private foundations and alumni to advance the success and excellence of the department. The position also has primary oversight for all administrative, budgetary and promotion decisions for the department. The successful candidate will:
- lead the department by presenting a compelling vision for Physics Illinois;
- further develop and implement a plan for scholarly excellence aimed at establishing Physics as a top ranked department;
- foster, advocate, and engage in both the further development and continuation of cutting-edge, innovative undergraduate and graduate curricula as well as multidisciplinary research collaborations through effective leadership and management;
- establish an engaging environment for Assistant and Associate faculty members, grounded on effective mentoring and academic and professional development;
- enable and facilitate connections with industry and research institutes to better position Physics as a leader for cutting-edge research partnerships;
- foster a culture of active alumni engagement with the department that celebrates the department's graduates as agents of its impact to the world and as the stewards of its long-term excellence;
- lead the department's advancement campaign and establish strategic engagement and partnerships with foundations and private institutions that share the department's passion and vision for excellence.
The Head position is a full-time, twelve-month administrative appointment accompanied by a full-time, tenured faculty appointment with full University benefits. To apply for this position, candidates should create a profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter articulating their vision for this position, together with a curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references as a single PDF file. Complete applications should be received by February 26, 2018, for full consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The start date is as soon as possible and salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Please direct questions pertaining to the search or application procedures to Lori Willoughby at [email protected] or 217-333-3837.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Faculty and Other Academic
Title: College of Engineering: Head and Professor - Department of Physics (F1800010)
Open Date: 02/12/2018
Organization Name: Engineering Administration