Visiting Research Specialist in Life Science - Roy J. Carver Biotechnology Center, HPCBio (A1800081
The Roy J. Carver Biotechnology Center has an opening for a Visiting Research Specialist in Life Science in HPCBio. The primary function of the position is to process and analyze 'omics data produced by customers of the HPCBio group.
This position is a one year commitment with the potential for renewal or becoming a permanent Academic Professional appointment.
The Proposed Starting Date: As soon as possible after closing.
The requirement and qualifications for this position are: Education - MS degree in a field of science relevant to biological computing. Alternative degree fields will be considered/accepted if accompanied by equivalent experience (depending on nature and depth of experiences if relates to the position). Experience - A minimum of one year experience using bioinformatics methods to analyze high-throughput sequencing data. Knowledge -Working knowledge of major software tools used in computational genomics. Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl) or experience using R. Effective communication, personal relations, organizational, and teamwork skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively perform in a professional demeanor in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities under minimal supervision. Sound judgment and an attention to detail. Proficiency in commonly-employed software.
Preferred qualifications: MS degree in computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, or biotechnology. Background knowledge of one of the following (1) targeted microbiome and metagenome analyses, (2) epigenomic data analysis.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for bioinformatics analysis of high-throughput sequence datasets, with a general focus on one or more of the following: (1) targeted microbiome and metagenome analyses or (2) epigenomic data analysis.
- Additionally, responsible for processing and analysis of additional 'omics data produced by customers of HPCBio apart from the above. Additional HPCBio analyses may include, but are not limited to: genome and transcriptome assembly, annotation, gene expression assessment from RNA-seq data, analysis of ChIP-seq or other epigenomic data, and identification and calling of genomic variants.
- Participate in the training of University faculty and staff, with an emphasis on bioinformatics analysis techniques.
- Perform QC and initial analysis on high-throughput sequencing data produced by the DNA sequencing facility of the Biotechnology Center.
- Prepare reports for customers of the HPCBio group and assist in maintaining the HPCBio project management system.
- Facilitate deposition of customer data in public repositories.
- Participate in the maintenance of the software environment and Web sites of the HPCBio group.
- Keep abreast of new developments in bioinformatics and propose improvements in the analytical methods used by the HPCBio group.
Type of Position: Full-time Visiting Academic Professional with full University benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Application: Please complete your profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume, to include at least three contacts for reference. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For additional information, contact Chris Fields, Associate Director of HPCBio.
Phone: (217)244-1890; [email protected]
For full consideration, applications must be received by Friday, March 2, 2018.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visiting Research Specialist in Life Science - Roy J. Carver Biotechnology Center, HPCBio (A1800081)
Organization Name: Administration