Strategic Design Specialist - Creative Services (A1800114)
Strategic Design Specialist
Creative Services at Public Affairs
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Design beautiful and impactful university-level marketing communications materials for the entire campus while strengthening the Illinois brand. The strategic design specialist works as part of our creative team to produce graphic design solutions to marketing challenges that meet university client's needs and project goals while engaging our university's primary audiences.
The strategic design specialist works with and refines the visual system and identity standards used across the university. In this role, they produce and manage the identity materials while helping units brand themselves within the system. Strategic design specialists excel at translating the complexities of the university and the variety of unique client marketing challenges into tailored, impactful and unified brand communications.
As a part of our team, you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Produce design used in print, web and digital that will include printed marketing materials, environmental design, billboards and signage, website visual interfaces, digital displays, social media graphics, unique items and more.
- Implement creative marketing strategies for a broad range of university audiences including, but not limited to, prospective and enrolled students and their parents; prospective faculty and donors; corporate and foundation executives; news media; alumni; state legislators and officials.
- Provide superior service by meeting specific project objectives, understanding specific client interests and concerns throughout the project, while maintaining a high standard of service and quality throughout the process and in the final deliverable.
- Translate insights from marketing and positioning-needs into solutions that deliver the outcomes needed in the creative materials.
- Create visual interface design mockups that show proof of concept, and finalize them into high-fidelity completed screens for the front end developer to implement.
- Design visual interfaces for websites and provide specifications of designs that are complete, while accommodating to the needs of the front-end developer.
- Work closely with the director of creative services on projects that build on university brand standards. Discuss specific project requirements and parameters, ask questions, challenge ideas, contribute possible solutions and refine possibilities into recommendations.
- Advance the Illinois brand by serving as an expert on the brand and the visual identity system for the university. Assist campus communicators by creating templated identity pieces and educational materials that help non-technical audiences use the design standards easily.
- Present work effectively to clients, helping them understand the creative response to the goals of the project and needs of the target audiences. Use visuals with clients effectively, and engage clients into productive discussions that help them understand their role in the work and the needs for their participation moving forward.
- Research trends in graphic design, typography, web design, social media and personal career interests and share knowledge with the creative services team in informal share-back sessions to help improve creative service's processes.
- Keep up-to-date with the most efficient technologies and work flow techniques.
- Collaborate directly with outside vendors such as video producers, photographers and printers to achieve superior results.
- Use the latest Adobe creative suite software, as well as MS Office software, to take projects from concept development to final execution.
- Bachelor's degree in design, communications or related field
- A minimum of two years of graphic design experience.
- Advanced skills in current design software including Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Excellent visual design and communication skills.
- Adept layout composition and mechanical skills to produce files for print and web.
- Strong understanding of printing processes, color-matching systems, photography, lighting and typography. Self-motivated and able to manage multiple projects at once.
- Three to five years of graphic design experience.
- Outstanding conceptual design skills with experience in illustration, creating storyboards, workflows, wireframes and mockups.
- An understanding of web interface and user experience design.
- Experience with HTML and CSS.
- Familiarity with University of Illinois WebTools, higher education marketing and/or the Urbana campus. Experience in client relations, budgets, deadlines, and tracking of hours.
- An extensive and thorough knowledge of designing and executing communication pieces in print. Knowledge of visual design practices, marketing strategy, social media, and other innovative technologies. Ability to clearly and consistently organize, manage and present complex information.
This is a full-time regular academic professional position. Start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. For full consideration, create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, a resume, three to five examples of design work (actual documents or links are both acceptable) and the names, addresses, email and phone numbers of three professional references by close date March 9, 2018 Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Pam Steele, Public Affairs, 217/333-5010 or [email protected]. For more information about Public Affairs, visit publicaffairs.illinois.edu.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Public Affairs
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Strategic Design Specialist - Creative Services (A1800114)
Open Date: 02/23/2018
Close Date: 03/09/2018
Organization Name: Creative Services