Senior Producer Director - Illinois Public Media (A1800104)
Illinois Public Media
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois Public Media at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois seeks a true cross-platform innovator and collaborator see all the possibilities for content creation at a highly-respected and flourishing public media joint licensee just two hours south of Chicago.
Ideal Senior Producer-Director candidates have substantial foundational skills, including producing and directing studio-based TV programming, and will also have extensive experience working on field productions. However, candidate will also be able to create short, vibrant video content for multiple platforms, including the web and social media. We're looking for a creative thinker who wants to have fun on the job, but who also wants to tell powerful stories and have high standards for the work they create.
The Senior Producer-Director will help guide a growing creative team at a station boasting award-winning web series and documentaries, a rising statewide talk show, a CPB-funded statewide news collaboration, and a blossoming international productions unit. Not only that - Urbana-Champaign is a vibrant, growing community that's home to the University of Illinois, which means pay is competitive and benefits, including free tuition for University classes, are A+. Interested? See the extensive position description.
Senior Producer-Director Description:
Primary Position Function/Summary: The Senior Producer/Director creates, writes, produces, and directs content primarily for serial programs, documentaries, and special programming, as well as occasional interstitial and promotional material for Illinois Public Media's outlets - WILL TV, WILL AM/FM, WILL online, and various social media platforms.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, manage, schedule, produce, write, direct, light, shoot, and edit multiplatform content for studio and field productions, these productions include, but are not limited to: program series, program specials, program elements, and short/long form documentary, with interstitials, promotional campaigns, pledge programming, and other work in collaboration with various departments at IPM.
- Working with a core creative team, brainstorm, research, and prioritize potential program ideas with an eye toward multiplatform distribution.
- Develop proposals and budgets for programs, perform post-production accounting functions, and generate production activity reports. The Senior Producer/Director will be expected to manage projects budgets and work with the IPM business office to follow station accounting practices.
- Acquire necessary rights, clearances and releases for productions.
- Coordinate, with the Director of Content and Strategic Communications, the allocation of resources and other production activities, working with station content generators and creative teams in all aspects of the production process.
- Attend production, departmental, and staff meetings, as needed.
- Participate in Illinois Public Media fundraising activities.
- Foster and maintain relations with staff, crew, College of Media, community leaders and clients.
Required: Bachelor's degree
Preferred: Preferably in broadcasting, communications, or a related field.
- Five years of direct, progressive production experience in a multiplatform environment.
- Proven experience in writing, producing, directing, shooting, lighting, and editing television productions in studio and on-location environments. Live broadcast experience is essential.
- High video and audio editing proficiency - preferably in Adobe Premiere and Audition.
- Familiarity with other Adobe Creative Cloud applications including: After Effects, Photoshop, and more.
- High degree of familiarity with a variety of production equipment including cameras, nonlinear editors, lights, and more.
- Strong ability to conceptualize, create, and communicate a vision for programs and projects.
- Demonstrably strong writing skills, and the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Exhibited strength in the area of narrative script writing.
- Proven experience working under pressure to successfully meet multiple project deadlines.
- Demonstration of a strong background in the coordination and management of multiple projects, assignments, and direction of support personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and secure funding for productions.
- Ability to shoot and edit content on a mobile device (e.g., smartphone).
- A good feel for graphic design, with the ability to render/create using Adobe Creative Cloud products.
- Motion graphics experience (conception and creation).
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in both a team environment and independently, at a high level of productivity.
- Knowledge of broadcast, location, and other production techniques.
- Familiarity with intellectual property rights in use of photos, music and videos.
- Strong working knowledge of studio and location lighting techniques.
- Strong working knowledge of equipment and programs utilized in video production, editing, , and graphics creation, including the Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Illustrator, and Photoshop).
- Strong working knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Understanding of social media and appropriate video products for platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Experience using Slack Trello, Google docs, and/or other project management/productivity enhancers, including cloud-based digital workflow tools and internal folder structures.
- Familiarity with PBS and NPR programming, PBS and NPR promotional materials, and the mission of public broadcasting.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by March 21, 2018. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Annetta Allison (217) 265-7648 or email@example.com.
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Media/IPM
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Senior Producer Director - Illinois Public Media (A1800104)
Open Date: 02/19/2018
Close Date: 03/21/2018
Organization Name: IPM Administration:General