Outreach Coordinator - Engineering Administration (A1800101)
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Outreach Coordinator. Reporting to the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, the Outreach Coordinator develops, coordinates and executes College of Engineering outreach programs that inform the public as well as excite and educate pre-college students about the importance and relevance of engineering. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Increase the visibility of the College of Engineering through outreach programs targeted at K-12 students and the community in general.
- Coordinate and oversee existing COE outreach programs such as Girls Adventures in Math, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) and Worldwide Youth in Science & Engineering (WYSE) (Discover Engineering, Exploring Your Options, etc.), and identify and implement improvements to these programs.
- Work with faculty and staff involved with the GAMES and WYSE and direct a large temporary staff who serve as counselors, coordinators, and facilitators. Identify temporary staffing needs; recruit and select staff, assign and coordinate their work, and manage their performance.
- Manage and operate the ICANEXSEL K-12 engagement program for inner-city Chicago students. This work includes the recruitment and supervision of a team of students as they travel to Chicago. All facets of the supervision and logistics of these trips are handled by the employee. This includes several Saturday programs during the fall and spring semesters in Chicago and on the UIUC campus as well as overnight summer camps in Chicago/UIUC.
- Act as the primary contact for stakeholders in Chicago (nonprofits, UIC College of Engineering and Education) to further grow and develop ICANEXSEL and other partnerships as an integral component of our effort to improve opportunity, access and diversity in engineering.
- Liaise with COE faculty and staff, and UIUC College of Education to develop curriculum and programming for the ICANEXSEL program. Maintain responsibility for coordinating the curriculum development effort.
- Manage the budgets for outreach programs and work closely with Engineering HR Shared Services and the Engineering Business Services Center on all related hiring, appointments, and purchasing.
- Maintain a working knowledge of outreach efforts in departments throughout the College. Share resources and best practices across programs.
- Coordinate and represent the College of Engineering outreach interests with other parts of the campus.
- Work with faculty, departments, and other units (e.g., University of Illinois Extension Office and the Office for Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education) to develop new outreach efforts. Aid faculty in grant submissions to obtain outreach support.
- Work with College and departmental communications staff to advertise events.
- Work with K-12 educators to develop engineering and science outreach programs that benefit K-12 students.
- Work with the College's Office of Advancement to help fund outreach efforts and provide reports and requests to funders.
- Collaborate with and provide support to student group outreach efforts.
- Coordinate K-12 outreach programs with College and departmental student recruiting efforts.
- Assist with College student recruiting efforts as needed.
- Oversee outreach program assessment.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in engineering, science, STEM education, or related field
- Experience with outreach and/or educational programs
- Experience supervising students or volunteers (e.g., selecting, training, supervising, and evaluating staff)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (written and oral), including the ability to make effective public presentations
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with a broad array of internal and external constituents
- Ability to work flexible and extended hours, including some weekends
- Master's degree in science, engineering, education or related field
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience in grant, proposal and report writing
- Knowledge of program assessment and experience in its use
The Outreach Coordinator position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by March 5, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Thurman Etchison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-300-2193.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Outreach Coordinator - Engineering Administration (A1800101)
Open Date: 02/19/2018
Close Date: 03/05/2018
Organization Name: Engineering Administration