Executive Director of Principal Gifts - Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement
Executive Director of Principal Gifts
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement
University of Illinois
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a full-time Executive Director of Principal Gifts in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement. Reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Advancement and working directly with the Office of the Chancellor for the University of Illinois, responsibilities include managing the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts involving the Chancellor for the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana and a portfolio of the University's most generous donors and prospects. Build and manage relationships for self and others at the University with this group of individuals, acting as liaison among the staff of the Office of Advancement, University Advancement personnel, Deans, faculty and other members of the campus community and donors.
- Develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for a select group of the University's most generous donors. Build and manage network of relationships with prospective donors involving University administrators and faculty. Facilitate and coordinate all communication with these prospects and among the prospect's campus relationships. Promote positive relations with these individuals.
- Evaluate various gift opportunities and giving vehicles and recommend the most suitable for a particular donor.
- Facilitate interaction with principal prospects by the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Advancement, senior administrators and deans, and faculty. Travel frequently with the Chancellor and/or Vice Chancellor and occasionally with selected other University leadership including faculty and/or senior volunteers.
- Interact with internal contacts such as Deans, Directors, Faculty, Officers, and other advancement staff to consult on University needs, to formulate strategies to promote prospect engagement with the University and to identify potential high level donors.
- Assist with the strategy for and creation of written communications from the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, and other senior administrators appropriate to a donor's interest.
- Participate (typically in concert with others) in seven and eight-figure solicitations to fund University programs and to enhance the development efforts of the colleges and institutes.
- Manage a portfolio of 50-75 major gift prospects for the purpose of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. Maintain a significant travel schedule throughout the United States and occasionally internationally.
- Provide vision and strategic leadership for the principal gifts team through ongoing support and evaluation of staff members' performance.
- Perform additional activities related to the Advancement effort as requested by the Vice Chancellor for Advancement.
- Bachelor's Degree and at least ten years of experience in fundraising or a closely-related area, preferably in higher education, at least five involving the solicitation of major gifts; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Experience working with sensitive information and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Preferred: Master's degree and extensive knowledge of public higher education.
The Executive Director of Principal Gifts will work closely with the Senior Vice President for Principal Gifts, Gift Planning & Trust Services at the University of Illinois Foundation to facilitate appropriate communication and collaboration with the University of Illinois System and University of Illinois Foundation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to relate to donors, volunteers, colleagues and university leadership.
- Self-motivated (a "self-starter"); innovative and ability to work with considerable independence within the context of a team environment and a network of relationships.
- Superior written and oral communication, negotiating, organizational, analytical and fundraising skills, including the ability to interpret financial information and manage data.
- Familiarity with financial planning, tax and charitable gift laws and planned giving vehicles and methods.
- Knowledge of university governance and academic administrative and financial policies and guidelines.
- Must be able to travel frequently; some international travel may be required.
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by March 22, 2018. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, address, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references. For more information regarding application procedures, contact Katie Walker, email@example.com. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Interviews may take place prior to the closing date; however, no decision will be made until after that date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The Illinois Advancement Community is committed to an ongoing, proactive process to foster and achieve diversity and inclusion in its development, alumni relations and communications activities. We will respect and encourage different voices, perspectives and ideas as we strive to represent individuals of all backgrounds and cultures which include but are not limited to the following: nationality, ethnicity, race, gender, sexuality, spirituality, age and ability who represent our alumni, donors and friends of the University of Illinois.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Executive Director of Principal Gifts - Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement (A1800110)
Open Date: 02/22/2018
Organization Name: Ofc VC Inst Advancement