Coordinator for Housing Information - Private Certified Housing, University Housing (A1800124)
Coordinator for Housing Information
Applications are now being accepted for a Housing Information Coordinator for Private Certified Housing (PCH) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The PCH coordinator will manage aspects of the PCH program while serving as a liaison between housing staff and a variety of stakeholders. Think strategically about ways to improve the perception and presence of PCH on campus and when appropriate make policy recommendations to the Assistant Director. It is critical for the coordinator to navigate the political climate with poise on campus, in the Champaign-Urbana community, and amongst PCH owners. Serve as a primary contact for prospective and current students during the year and ensure staff have the resources necessary to provide exceptional customer service. Manage large, complicated data structures and complex contractual processes. Support an integrated team office environment through daily leadership and provide assistance in the absence of the Assistant Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Communications & Community Relations
- Apply outstanding communication skills while working with a large and diverse group of people including: excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a professional and collegial manner with supervisors, peers, stakeholders, and customers
- Maintains regular communication with property owners, private housing directors and fraternal advisors to advise and inform them of University housing standards. Analyze and recommend changes to processes based on trends within special populations.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings and semester seminars
- Advises, serves as a resource, and refers property owners/managers to appropriate campus or community resource for assistance.
- Coordinates and facilitates required paraprofessional (student) staff training for PCH units at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Collaborates with Residential Life and campus stakeholders to ensure training content is comparable.
- Manages multi-dimensional communication plan for PCH including basic website maintenance, social media, email, newsletters, and print pieces using Adobe, Webtools, Prezi, WordPress or other design tools to implement.
- Develop and implement creative strategies for outreach and dissemination of certified housing options and standards
- Represents/speaks on behalf of University Housing at various Admissions/recruiting events for students/parents throughout the year. This includes speaking to large groups (400+) of students/parents and more intimate question & answer events.
- Collaborate with housing staff effectively to understand and promote housing options that best meet individual student needs.
- Advises students on their housing options on campus, including University owned residence halls, apartments, and private certified housing units.
- Use sound judgment in navigating politically charged relationships, situations, or conversations with campus, community, and customer stakeholders.
- Works cooperatively with Private Certified Owners, Residential Life, Family & Graduate Housing staff, as well as, Student Affairs staff and faculty in establishing, promoting and encouraging students to consider all housing options.
Administration & Operations
- Coordinates administrative functions related to the Private Certified Housing units, including occupancy reporting, inspection program, enforcement of certified housing standards, policy and procedure documentation, maintaining databases and inventories of information. Administers the certified housing process for campus using high level problem solving skills to address difficult, complex issues; effective multi-tasking capability; ability to anticipate, manage, and meet deadlines. Manage high level strategic planning tasks and recommend improvements to business procedures
- Establishes, directs and coordinates the safety inspection program to ensure that all certified facilities are inspected and corrections made each academic year.
- Administers the reciprocal agreement between University Housing and the PCH units, including establishing the agreement terms and regulation of the agreement.
- Provide leadership and oversight of the staff and of the daily operations of the Housing Information Office.
- Maintain positive work environment through collaborative management of staff under the direction of the Assistant Director of the Housing Information Office.
- Provide feedback on performance and establish professional development plan for respective staff. Use sound judgment in reprimanding or correcting inappropriate behavior of staffing using appropriate methods.
- Hire, train, and provide direct supervision of student staff. Facilitate or mediate positive interpersonal interaction between student staff.
- Resolves both general and escalated housing contract issues, policy questions, and appeals via phone, email, and personal contact with students, parents, family members, faculty, & staff with attention to FERPA guidelines. Exercises complex decision making skills related to dissatisfied customers. Maintains and enforces deadlines as they pertain to contracts and policies. Utilize strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize responsibilities to meet stringent deadlines and handle unexpected matters of urgency
- Manages the operation of related database and web-based systems, providing comprehensive training and support to end-users. Utilizes MS Office suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to complete daily operational tasks. Recommends operational and strategic improvements to existing systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor's Degree
- Demonstrated public speaking experience.
- Demonstrated customer service skills in effectively providing accurate information and responding to colleagues and customers seeking direction/guidance
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and decision making skills in a highly political, complex environment.
- High attention to detail and accuracy in presentation of data
- Master's Degree
- Demonstrated full time experience leading, managing, or supervising teams
- Ability to provide oversight and leadership when working as a member of an integrated team environment while taking initiative to complete individual tasks without considerable direction
- Experience navigating and effectively using technology including, databases, Microsoft Office, website maintenance, social media, and print pieces using Adobe, Prezi, WordPress, Webtools, or other design tools
- Experience training staff
- Experience working with Private Certified Housing on the Illinois campus or similar experience with a third-party private housing relationship
- Knowledge about University of Illinois business policies and procedures
We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds who can help create and foster communities that strive toward this vision. This includes supporting the academic mission of the University by developing environments conducive to student learning and academic success, respecting, appreciating, and advocating for the diversity of our student population, and supporting the holistic development of all of our students.
This is a full-time, 12-month position. The starting date will be as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
For full consideration, create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by March 23, 2018. Please contact a member of the Housing Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Housing
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Coordinator for Housing Information - Private Certified Housing, University Housing (A1800124)
Open Date: 02/27/2018
Close Date: 03/23/2018
Organization Name: Housing Division