Associate Technical Director - Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (A1800096)
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts seeks an Associate Technical Director to join the teaching faculty in our BFA/MFA Scenic Technology Program and to provide shop and theatre support to productions of the departments of theatre, dance and lyric theatre. This Academic Professional position is an integral member of shop operations, working side by side with staff and faculty to mentor student Technical Directors, oversee professional and student staff to execute builds and load-ins, and manage theatre and shop maintenance. In conjunction, this position is anticipated to also have a specialized faculty title, serving to develop and deliver curriculum, advise students and participate in recruiting. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in joining an academic program but retaining active responsibilities in the shop and theatre.
Primary Position Function/Summary:
Partner with the Technical Director to oversee the theatre operations at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts by managing technical design, fabrication, and installation of Resident Producer productions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Technical Director as necessary in coordinating annual scene shop operations, managing the scene shop staff, hiring extra help, organizing the maintenance of shop stock/facilities, and similar duties as assigned.
- Coordinate theatre space and equipment needs; assist with the management of theatre safety and maintenance programs; participate in annual safety and competency trainings; and coordinate with vendors, consultants and outside agencies as needed.
- Assist Technical Director in ensuring efficient and safe theatre operations.
- Serve as primary supervisor coordinating installation and strike of theatrical productions, and working with the Technical Director for Events and Performances; oversee day-to-day theatre needs and operations.
- Oversee graduate and undergraduate student teams as assigned to Resident Producer productions such as Theatre, Opera, Dance, Musical Theatre, and Devised Work in successful completion of the technical design process, which includes consultation, engineering, costing, building, installation, performance, and strike.
- Supervise graduate assistants assigned to Resident Producer productions, including the Dance Technical Director (TD), Opera TD, and Armory TD.
- Ensure successful completion of assigned show-build projects through mentorship and advising of student and professional staff.
- May serve as technical director for one or more productions.
- Oversee load-ins and strikes with a focus on maintaining safe practices and procedures.
- Teach up to six classroom hours per semester in scenic technology as a member of the scenic technology faculty.
- Along with the other scenic technology faculty, serve as an advisor for the BFA and MFA scenic technology programs.
- May serve as guest instructor, oversee independent studies, and oversee thesis projects as time permits.
- Participate in other duties related to the educational mission of the Theatre department and Krannert Center as available, including attending faculty meetings and serving on committees.
- Create course content and participate in curriculum development.
- Actively participate in recruiting and retention activities
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in theatre technology (Scenic Technology, Technical Direction, etc.) or related field.
- At least 1-3 years of progressively increasing responsibility in a leadership or supervisory role as an Assistant Technical Director or equivalent position for a professional or university theatrical scene shop or performing arts center; or Master of Fine Arts graduate in Technical Direction, Scenic Technology, or related field
- General computer literacy; ability to communicate with and effectively organize the work of students; ability to work at heights; advanced scenic technologies.
- Master's degree in theatre technology (Technical Direction, Scenic Technology, Automation, etc.) or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience with Automation/Motion Control and Fluid Power, and/or Entertainment Rigging.
- ETCP Theatrical or Arena Rigging certification, OSHA General Construction Certification.
- Health and safety programs in the context of a performing arts center.
To ensure full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by March 29, 2018. For further information about application procedures, please contact Andrea Stewart at [email protected].
This is a 12-month, full-time, benefits eligible position. The salary is commensurate with experience. The proposed start date for this position is May 16, 2018 or soon as possible. Interviews may take place prior to the closing date; however, no decision will be made until after that date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Fine and Applied Arts
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Associate Technical Director - Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (A1800096)
Open Date: 02/15/2018
Close Date: 03/29/2018
Organization Name: KCPA-Operations