Assistant Director, Risk Management
Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
Description: University of Illinois System Office
Office of Risk Management
Assistant Director, Risk Management
The University of Illinois System Office is seeking to hire an Assistant Director, Risk Management to assist in managing the University of Illinois' insurance programs. Position will help to develop and implement strategies to ensure operations and services are effectively administered and are meeting University-wide expectations for insurance and risk management functions particularly as it relates to its hospital, clinics, and health-related educational programming. Responsibilities include:
1. Manage insurance activities related to risk management with a focus on the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System (UIHHSS) (including UI regional sites) including: compiling underwriting submissions, negotiating pricing and terms, managing broker relationships, daily administration of coverage, and coordinating the vendor payment transaction and unit cost recovery.
2. Preparation and exchange of claims information between UI Claims Management, UI Risk Management, Hospital Department of Safety and Risk Management, and other units as required.
3. Participate in discussions regarding risk, safety, and educational programs for medical students and medical residents at UIHHSS and regional sites.
4. Participate in discussions surrounding UIHHSS's full disclosure and rapid settlement program and patient safety initiatives.
5. Review existing affiliation agreements and contracts; collecting, reporting and assessing exposure data; reviewing claims experience; and providing supporting data on the allocation of the medical malpractice insurance funding bill.
6. Create complex risk management reports, actuarial submissions, and writing specifications for requests for proposals for professional services.
7. Facilitate and manage vendor relations and administration duties for Medical Residents/Medical Students Long Term Disability programs.
8. Consult with the Office of the University Counsel, the Vice Chancellor for Research, Purchasing Division, and other campus departments on insurance issues, and assist in the review of contract language to minimize risk to the University.
9. Assist Director in leadership positions in intrastate, interstate, and national risk management organizations and cooperatives to support the University's risk management objectives.
10. Serve on University, campus, and other committees/teams, participate in meetings with senior University and campus administrators, and, in the absence of the Director of Risk Management, provide input that appropriately represents the Director's position and the University Office of Risk Management.
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in business or related field with five years' demonstrated risk and/or insurance-related experience acquired in an insurance broker/agency office, insurance company, workers' compensation administrator office, or preferably hospital administration. Illinois Insurance Producer's License will be required within the first six months of employment. Additional requirements include: Ability to prepare complex business and financial reports; knowledge of medical and legal terminology; highly developed written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated teamwork skills to develop effective strategies to successfully achieve organizational objectives and goals; creativity in exercising independent judgement and discretion; strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships; ability to multi-task and prioritize work assignments to produce accurate, detail-oriented work while meeting stringent deadlines; extensive knowledge about Microsoft Office computer programs with emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint. Experience working in a higher education institution is preferred, in particular the University of Illinois.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by March 15, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 03/15/2018