Academic Advisor - Department of Statistics (A1800095)
Department of Statistics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Statistics seeks a full-time (12-month) academic professional as an Academic Advisor. This position reports to the Undergraduate Advising and Professional Development Office and will advise, guide, and provide resources, direction, and support for undergraduate students in the Departments of Statistics regarding course choices, progress toward graduation, and other academic, and career issues regarding the undergraduate experience. Join a vibrant, growing academic program with outstanding student career opportunities. For more information about our degree programs, student opportunities and alumni visit http://www.stat.illinois.edu
- Advise undergraduate students pursuing Statistics and Statistics + Computer Science degrees on program requirements.
- Meet with students to review their academic progress towards degree completion.
- Assist students with course selections and advocate on students' behalf to departments in order to resolve course-scheduling conflicts, and identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements.
- Provide advising and assistance to incoming freshmen and transfer students during summer orientation/registration in person, via telephone, and via virtual online advising in coordination with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Advocate on behalf of students that are experiencing personal or medical complications and work in partnership with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and other resources on campus to develop viable plans for completion.
- Utilize DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs to create and maintain files for all undergraduate students in order to record and track students' progress toward a degree and to determine when students need additional academic assistance in order to design individual support plans for students.
- Serve as an informational resource to faculty advisors who meet with students regarding academic and career issues.
- Run and interpret data in order to create registration summaries and annual reports to track trends and continually strategize best ways to serve students.
- Design advising schedule and plan appropriate developmental and educational programs during each registration period for individual or groups of students.
- Interpret Departmental, College, and University information, procedures, policies, and academic requirements and advise students on those.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on petitions to students' program of study or refer as appropriate.
- Act as a liaison with advisors in other Departments, the College, and the University.
- Develop and implement programming for academically challenged students (low GPA, transfer students, veterans, others who tend to have unique academic situations).
- Contribute to recruitment of potential students by advising them of general academic requirements and courses.
- Represent Statistics at Orange & Blue Days, Admitted Student Days, and other similar student events.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience working independently as well as collaboratively with diverse populations.
- Experience in academic advising or related college student advising or counseling
- Strong organizational, communication, interpersonal and assessment skills
- Master's Degree
- Familiarity with the statistics curriculum and other quantitative majors.
- Knowledge of academic skills and student development issues associated with undergraduate student populations, especially those that require enhanced advising and academic skills support
Salary and Start Date: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Starting date is as soon as possible after closing date.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references by the closing date of March 15, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date.
More information/questions: Contact the Statistics Advising Office at email@example.com or 217-300-0283.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Liberal Arts & Science
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Academic Advisor - Department of Statistics (A1800095)
Open Date: 02/15/2018
Close Date: 03/15/2018
Organization Name: Statistics