College of Engineering: Head and Professor - Bioengineering (F1700178)
Head and Professor
Department of Bioengineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a highly accomplished scholar and strategic leader as Head of the Department of Bioengineering. The Department of Bioengineering is at an exciting phase: several faculty hires at various levels, occupation of 6000 sq. ft. of research space at Carle Foundation Hospital, and a move to a newly renovated $55M building in summer 2018. Further, the BIOE Department is leading the transformation of undergraduate bioengineering education through the NSF RED grant, and is poised to play a foundational role in establishing the very first engineering-driven college of medicine in the nation, to commence in fall 2018.
The Department of Bioengineering includes both undergraduate (B.S.) and graduate (M.S., M.Eng., Ph.D.) educational programs that prepare future Bioengineering leaders for careers in academia, industry, and government. Bioengineering cultivates a collaborative, interdisciplinary research environment that involves 74 faculty from across the campus. The Department has seen tremendous growth: our faculty number increased from 13 to 20 over the past 5 years and the number of undergraduates doubled over the past 10 years. Our successful senior faculty recruitment in recent years is due in large part to the Grainger Engineering Breakthroughs Initiative (GEBI) (graingerinitiative.engineering.illinois.edu), which is backed by a $100-million gift from the Grainger Foundation.
The technical research areas of the department include Bioimaging at Multi-Scale; Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology; Synthetic Bioengineering; Molecular, Cellular, and Tissue Engineering; Computational and System Biology; and Research in BME Education. Bioengineering faculty participate actively in campus-wide initiatives and institutes, including the Materials Research Lab, the Institute for Genomic Biology, the Beckman Institute, and the Micro and Nano Technology Lab. We are also key contributors to campus priorities on translational biomedical education and research. Bioengineering will be a key player in the newly accredited Carle-Illinois College of Medicine where engineering-based medicine will play a pivotal role for humanistic patient care. For more information on this dynamic department, please visit our website at https://bioengineering.illinois.edu/ where you can find our 2017 Annual Report and more information on our educational and research programs.
The Department Head is a tenured full Professor in Bioengineering and reports to the Dean of the College of Engineering. Applicants must have an earned Ph.D., a scholarly record commensurate with the level of a full professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and a renowned reputation in research. The position has responsibilities for leading the faculty in the development of research, teaching, and public service, as well as engaging with industry, private foundations and alumni to advance the success and excellence of the department. The position also has primary oversight for all administrative, budgetary and promotion decisions for the department. The successful candidate will:
- lead the Department by presenting a compelling vision for Bioengineering at Illinois;
- further develop and implement a plan for scholarly excellence aimed at establishing Bioengineering as a top-five program;
- foster, advocate, and engage in both the further development and continuation of cutting-edge, innovative undergraduate and graduate curricula as well as multidisciplinary research collaborations through effective leadership and management;
- establish an engaging environment for Assistant and Associate faculty members, grounded on effective mentoring and academic and professional development as the Department continues its aggressive growth to achieve its targeted outcomes;
- establish and foster both existing and new long-term connections with industry to better position BIOE as a leader for cutting-edge research and industry partnerships;
- foster a culture of active alumni engagement with the department that celebrates the department's graduates as agents of its impact to the world and as the stewards of its long-term excellence;
- lead the department's advancement campaign and establish strategic engagement and partnerships with foundations and private institutions that share the department's passion and vision for excellence in Engineering for Life.
The Head position is a full-time, twelve-month administrative appointment accompanied by a full-time, tenured faculty appointment with full University benefits. To apply for this position, candidates should create a profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter articulating their vision for this position, together with a curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references as a single PDF file. Complete applications should be received by February 15, 2018, for full consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The start date is as soon as possible and salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Please direct questions pertaining to the search or application procedures to Lori Willoughby at [email protected] or 217-333-3837 .
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
We have an active and successful dual-career partner placement program and a strong commitment to work-life balance and family-friendly programs for faculty and staff (http://provost.illinois.edu/faculty-affairs/work-life-balance/).
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Faculty and Other Academic
Title: College of Engineering: Head and Professor - Bioengineering (F1700178)
Open Date: 12/19/2017
Organization Name: Engineering Dean