Head Teacher - Child Development Laboratory (A1700744)
Child Development Laboratory at the University of Illinois
Department of Human Development and Family Studies
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
Position: Head Teacher, 1 position available, for full-day classroom (2 to 5 year olds), 100%, non-tenure track academic professional appointment).
Available: As soon as possible after search close date.
Qualifications: BS required, in child development, early childhood education, or closely related field, experience in preschool and/or day care teaching is required.
• Collaborate with CDL administrators and other staff members in the development and implementation of a coherent school philosophy and program for young children.
• Conduct developmental assessments, both formal and informal, of each child in an early childhood classroom.
• Plan and develop curricula based on developmental assessments, and direct the implementation of programming in an early childhood classroom. Program must include appropriate activities promoting the intellectual, socio-emotional, and physical development of enrolled children.
• Provide leadership in planning for classroom programming by designing training and leading discussion at bi-weekly developmental meetings with assistant teachers, with a focus on child development, informal assessments, observation and documentation methods, and how this informs planning and implementation.
• Ensure daily communication and cooperation with parents of enrolled children; counsel parents on an as needed basis regarding progress and problems.
• Report, verbally and in writing, developmental progress and problems to children's parents via parent -teacher conferences twice a year.
• Communicate developmental progress and problems of individual children and the class as a whole to the Associate Director on a regular basis.
• Work collaboratively with the Associate Director and Director to facilitate research, demonstration and training projects within the classroom.
• Develop objectives and goals for individual children and communicate these to other staff members, student interns, volunteers and parents.
• Prepare and publish weekly lesson plans specifying activities for children based on developmental needs and established goals.
• Maintain records of children's developmental progress and problems, based on classroom observations, formal and informal assessments, and interactions.
• Participate in staff meetings with other CDL head teachers and administrators to identify issues and concerns and evaluate classroom status relating to program philosophy, program implementation, licensing standards and accreditation criteria; ensure the implementation of changes as needed to maintain such standards.
• Provide direct supervision, training and feedback to assistant teachers, student staff and volunteers on a daily basis.
• Report progress and concerns regarding assistant teacher and student staff performance to the Associate Director.
• Evaluate performance of and provide written performance reviews for assistant teachers on no less than an annual basis.
• Facilitate undergraduate and graduate student intern placements.
• Work with instructors to provide classroom experiences for student interns that are appropriate for course requirements and in keeping with program philosophy and implementation practices.
• Via daily training and weekly group meetings, communicate to student interns a) program goals and objectives, b) operational and planning procedures, c) appropriate expectations and guidance techniques, d) classroom schedules and emergency procedures, e) their classroom responsibilities; and provide a forum for them to discuss concerns/issues related to classroom programming and child guidance.
• Provide students with written and verbal evaluative feedback regarding personal and professional competence in the classroom.
• Report progress and concerns to course instructors and administrators as needed regarding performance of student interns.
• Ensure the physical needs of enrolled children (such as supervising feeding, naps, and other related activities) are met.
• Ensure that classroom staff understand and follow guidelines regarding the appropriate use and care of classroom equipment and materials.
• Implement, supervise, or delegate health and safety procedures, and maintain standards outlined in DCFS licensing and accreditation criteria.
• Participate in professional development as specified in DCFS licensing regulations and accreditation standards.
• Participate in outreach activities within the local, state, and national early childhood communities.
Salary: Low to mid $30,000 salary range based on education and work experience.
Applications: Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your letter of application, resume, complete transcripts, and three letters of recommendation electronically by January 2, 2018. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
Interviews may take place before the closing date, but no hiring decision will be made until after the closing date. All applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration. This search will remain open until we are able to identify a qualified candidate.
For further information, please contact Dr. Brent A. McBride at 217-333-0971.
This job is a security sensitive position. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Record of a current medical examination on a form prescribed by the Department is required.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Head Teacher - Child Development Laboratory (A1700744)
Open Date: 12/05/2017
Organization Name: CDL