Working Title: Laboratory Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Microbiology
The Department of Microbiology in the University of Virginia's School of Medicine is seeking a Laboratory Specialist to work in a eukaryotic molecular biology lab that focuses on gene expression in mammalian cells and virus infected cells. The incumbent will conduct basic research using molecular biology and immunological techniques including Western, Northern and Southern blotting, NexGen DNA sequencing and analysis, immunofluorescence, and other cutting edge assays. He/she will be guided in the research by the PI through regularly meetings several times a week, but will be expected to exercise his/her own judgment in many situations and will also discuss hypothesis and experimental plans with the PI. He/she will also be expected to train or supervise lab staff, volunteers or students.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree and at least two years of experience, experience as a student may be accepted.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Applicants should complete a staff application through the [email protected] website and provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references. To apply visit jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting #0621558
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of basic molecular biology and immunological techniques including Western, Northern and Southern blotting, NexGen DNA sequencing and analysis, immunofluorescence and other cutting edge assays.
2. Ability to perform statistical analysis.
3. Skills in general laboratory administration.
4. Strong organizational skills.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82595