Vice Chair of Research
Working Title: Vice Chair of Research
Position Type: Teaching and Research Faculty
Department: Department of Psychiatric Medicine
Posting Date: 08-30-2017
The University of Virginia, School of Medicine seeks a Vice Chair of Research to oversee research operations in the Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences. The main responsibilities of this position include:
1. Maintain a highly productive research operation with a national and international reputation.
2. Assist the Chair of the Psychiatry Department in developing/recruiting/retaining high potential research faculty.
3. Provide guidance and mentorship to junior faculty members in defining and developing their research projects and directions (e.g. K award).
4. Support and expand resident, fellow, graduate student, medical student and undergraduate involvement in research, presentations, and publications. Potential for development of a training grant for resident/fellow research.
5. Compete successfully for external funding in order to maintain a well-rounded research portfolio with the majority of funding attributable to NIH grants.
6. Provide oversite, guidance and annual evaluations to senior level researchers.
7. Have regular meetings with the research administrator for financial updates on all research portfolios within the Department. And to make recommendations to the Chair for corrective actions needed to keep the research operation viable and solvent.
Qualified applicants must have an M.D. degree or equivalent and be currently boarded in general psychiatry. At least 5 years of experience conducting research in serious mental illness is required. Salary, rank, and tenure status are contingent upon candidate qualifications. The rank and tenure status awarded will be based on qualifications in alignment with the School of Medicine's promotion and tenure policy: http://faculty.med.virginia.edu/facultyaffairs/. If hired as tenure ineligible, this position may be eligible to convert to tenure-track at an appropriate time in the future, consistent with SOM Promotion and Tenure guidelines and candidate qualifications.
To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search on Posting Number 0618684. Complete a Candidate Profile online, attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae and contact information for three references.
This position is open until filled.
For more information about the position, please contact Anita Clayton, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone 434-924-5457.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=79029