Senior Certified Medical Coder Analyst
Working Title: Senior Certified Medical Coder Analyst
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Orthopaedic Surgery Administrative Office
Posting Date: 08-03-2017
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery seeks a Senior Certified Medical Coder Analyst to join its coding team responsible for coding and billing for 25+ physicians and 14 physician assistants. The position is responsible for reviewing medical documentation to code CPT and ICD-10 codes along with modifiers; submitting accurate and timely charges through the billing system; responding to queries from patients, carriers, University Physicians Group, and the UVA Medical Center; analyzing reports to improve processes; and training providers in billing documentation compliance. A high school diploma or equivalent and four or more years of experience in performing medical coding and billing are required, with experience in an academic health system preferred. In-depth knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding, with knowledge of third-party payor reimbursement policies is required. Applicants must be detail-oriented with good organizational skills, able to manage multiple tasks in a busy environment, effectively communicate and work with physicians, staff and patients, and work with and maintain confidentiality of patient and patient account data. Applicants must be a certified procedural coder (CPC) through AAPC or CCS-P through AHIMA, be willing to maintain professional certification, and keep current with changes in procedure and diagnoses coding and third-party payor reimbursement policies through continuing education.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. In-depth knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 coding to include the use of modifiers.
2. Familiarity with local Medicare regional policies (LMRP) and third-party reimbursement policies.
3. Detail-oriented with good organizational, analytical, and oral and written communication skills.
4. Ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy environment.
5. Ability to effectively communicate and work with physicians, staff and patients.
6. Ability to work with and maintain confidentiality of patient and patient account data.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=79526