Laboratory Specialist Intermediate
Working Title: Laboratory Specialist Intermediate
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Neurological Surgery
Posting Date: 08-08-2017
The Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Virginia seeks two Intermediate Laboratory Specialists to support the research activities of our Neuromodulation Laboratory and our Neurovascular Laboratory, and provide daily laboratory oversight to include experimental management, supervision of lab staff, expenditure management, ACUC and EHS compliance management and coordination of laboratory meetings. Incumbent assists with human and animal research, collects data and samples, and performs statistical analysis. The incumbent also performs laboratory maintenance, provides experimentation documentation, and orders laboratory supplies.
Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent in a field related to human or animal neuroscience and a minimum of 2 years laboratory research experience. Student experience may be considered. Supervisory experience is preferred.
This is a restricted position and is contingent on the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) Ability to resolve problems.
2) Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3) Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
4) Ability to collect data or samples.
5) Some knowledge of analytical techniques in chemistry, biology, or related science.
6) Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
7) Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
8) Ability to manage/supervise staff.
9) Ability to work on multiple projects, to be organized, and to meet deadlines
10) Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with participants
11) Ability to accurately and efficiently summarize findings and present data effectively, orally and in writing
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82507