Laboratory Technician 2
Working Title: Laboratory Technician 2
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pediatrics
Posting Date: 09-06-2017
The Department of Pediatrics seeks a Laboratory Research Technician 2. Incumbent provides laboratory support by performing experiments including to support the research interests of the Principal Investigator. Duties include performing experiments under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, maintaining laboratory inventory and equipment, ordering of laboratory supplies, and data analysis.
Position requires a Bachelor's in Microbiology, Pharmacy, Biology, Biochemistry, or a related science obtained prior to start date. A minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience obtained at the bench and experience with standard bacteriology, molecular biology and protein purification procedures is required. Student experience will be considered towards the two years. Must have ability to perform or learn to work with small animal models, work accurately and independently with attention to detail, plan and execute tasks and experiments. Must have knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of performing routine laboratory data analysis and procedures (i.e., gel electrophoresis and DNA prep, bacterial cultures, cloning, His-tag protein purification, Western blots).
2. Ability to comfortably prepare solutions and reagents.
3. Ability to resolve problems.
4. Ability to follow instructions by PI and protocols.
5. Ability to work accurately and independently with attention to detail.
6. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
7. Ability to plan and execute tasks and experiments.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82695