Dean, School of Continuing and Professional Studies
Working Title: Dean, School of Continuing and Professional Studies
Position Type: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Department: SCPS - CP-Admin-Deans Office
Posting Date: 12-01-2017
The University of Virginia is seeking a Dean for the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. The University relies on the dean of the School to understand priorities and to present ways in which the University can serve through its academic programs and outreach efforts. The dean is responsible for keeping University leadership abreast of new academic program needs and strategies (such as the increased use of educational technologies) that may have significant implications for the University. The dean is also the primary internal spokesperson for the distinctive needs of the University's off-Grounds student population and programs.
The dean regularly plays the role of host and spokesperson at higher profile outreach and partnership programs and at the launch of the School's new academic programs. The dean is a skilled external meeting/program facilitator and trusted representative of the University.
The dean works with the associate deans to establish and maintain internal relationships with other schools and administrative leaders that are key to the School's successful operation. The School's management of a diverse academic portfolio, student services, and administrative functions require the dean to have administrative and political skills as well as a positive and collaborative approach to defining, preventing, anticipating, and resolving problems.
The dean's command of the history and new developments in outreach and adult education are such that the University is able to bring to the Commonwealth a broad and progressive perspective on the possibilities of outreach within and across institutional lines.
This is an academic general faculty position. The dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies will possess a qualifying terminal degree with a sustained record of academic accomplishment, demonstrated success in academic leadership, ability to develop and deliver new academic programs, enhance/promote existing programs, manage fiscal resources, recruit and develop a diverse faculty, demonstrated understanding of fundraising and the ability to foster interdisciplinary collaboration with other academic programs within the University and the community. A doctoral degree is strongly preferred.
- A distinguished record of academic achievement, leadership, and successful experience in higher education and serving non-traditional learners.
- Experience leading transparently, fairly, collectively, and responsively;
- Strong and demonstrated desire, ability, and commitment to function as a key member of the university's senior management team by broadly engaging the university community, and collaborating across Grounds;
- Effectiveness in a complex system of distributed leadership; experience developing clear systems and organizational structures, and then delegating appropriately;
- Proven success in the context of shared governance and collaborative decision-making with multiple stakeholder groups;
- Ability to be a strong advocate of School of Continuing and Professional Studies issues at a university, local, regional, state, and national level;
- An outstanding record of effectively managing people; a strong team orientation, along with a willingness to circulate widely and listen well;
To apply, visit jobs.virginia.edu and search posting number 0622230. Complete a candidate profile and submit a cover letter, CV, and submit contact information for three professional references.
Recruitment will continue and applications will be considered until the position is filled. For more information, please contact Melissa Hurst, Director of Recruitment at 434-297-7641 or by email to [email protected]
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=83368