Working Title: Senior Accountant
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Radiology
Posting Date: 12-15-2017
The Department of Radiology & Medical Imaging at the University of Virginia is currently seeking Senior Finance Generalists (Senior Accountant). The successful candidates will perform the following functions: lead financial analysis, budget, and reporting initiatives for the Department; provide budget support to the department Finance Manager; produce, reconcile, and distribute the financial reports for gift, endowment, local, and select state general project, task, and award combinations on a consistent basis according to University guidelines and the reconciliation schedule; ensure that all accounts are funded and budgeted monthly, that endowment projects are funded and budgeted semi-annually, that state projects are funded upon request, and that local projects are funded as needed; collect, analyze and report accurate and timely data to ensure operational goals are met; and manage special financial projects. Additional responsibilities include processing oversight and reconciliation of purchase orders, payment vouchers, and Department reimbursement requests.
Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent and a minimum of five (5) years of fiscal experience in business management, accounting, finance, or a related discipline. In lieu of degree, an additional eight years of experience is required for a total of 13 years' experience.
Five (5) years of experience in the following is also required: advanced knowledge of financial principles and analytical techniques, including working with fund accounting, GAAP and GASB, and/or financial management for non-profit or state entities; leading finance and operational cross-functional projects; and developing presentations for senior management. Applicants must be detail oriented and have advanced skills using Excel and knowledge of Oracle or similar financial database systems.
The ideal candidate will have an advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel), strong analytical skills, financial reporting experience, and excellent written and oral communication skills.
Preferred qualifications include a Master's Degree in finance, accounting or business administration. Experience in a healthcare related setting, in-depth knowledge of accounting, finance, financial reporting systems, and knowledge of policies and procedures in a state-funded higher education system are also preferred, as well as proficiency in Oracle Financial Modules, UBI, and Clarity.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Excellent analytical and numerical ability. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and University accounting processes and practices. Ability to record and report financial data clearly and accurately.
2. Advanced knowledge of University, state, and federal financial policies and regulations. Ability to conduct financial operations and make decisions according to ethical standards.
3. Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication in a range of venues. Ability to clearly construct and present balance sheets, account reconciliations, and financial analysis to a range of audiences with varying degrees of financial literacy.
4. Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to work with senior leaders to accomplish goals. Ability to mentor junior professionals.
5. Ability to oversee the implementation and modification of technological components to a financial system.
6. Ability to understand and articulate the University's educational mission, strategic aims, and programs.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=83504