Working Title: Department Administrator
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Molecular Phys and Biological Physics
Posting Date: 02-05-2018
The Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics and the Center for Membrane Cell Physiology at the University of Virginia are seeking an experienced, dynamic, team-oriented, Department Administrator to provide overall administrative management of business related activities for the Department and Center. The Administrator will perform a wide range of responsibilities in the core areas of budget, finance, grants administration, human resources, space coordination, and asset control (e.g., overall financial management of the Department and Center and budget projections for each faculty member). The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with the ability to promote professionalism in all aspects of Departmental and Center operations, implementing Department, Center, School of Medicine and University policies.
The Administrator will manage a staff of about 5 and will work closely with the Department Chair and Center Director, acting as the liaison between Unit Heads and Academic Investigators, and managing all financial and grant-related matters. The incumbent will (1) partner with colleagues in other Departments and Centers, (2) encourage collaboration among faculty and staff, and (3) serve on strategic committees for the School of Medicine. The primary goal is to advance the Department and Center towards achieving the missions of the School of Medicine and the University.
It is essential that qualified candidates have a Bachelor's degree in Healthcare Administration, Business, Accounting, or a related field and have at least 5 years of relevant professional work experience. An advanced degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or a related field, as well as prior experience in a financial leadership role in an academic, healthcare, or a research environment is preferred. Experience with grant administration and management is also preferred.
The successful candidate must have the ability to use sound judgment in decision-making and have demonstrated leadership and strong organizational, communication, and written skills. They must have the ability to multi-task effectively and work collaboratively in a large, complex organization and diverse work environment. In addition, the successful candidate must also have the ability to work synergistically with the Department Chair and Center Director in developing strategic goals and initiatives.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references. Position will remain open until filled.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, as demonstrated by the independent preparation of financial reports, statements, and projections. Ability to organize complex information and provide specialized advice. Ability to manage the activities of the team or program. Ability to align program with University, state, and federal policies.
2. Deep knowledge of financial, operational, and administrative policies and procedures. Mastery of program information. Ability to advise team appropriately in area of expertise. Understanding of the importance of internal controls and their consistent implementation.
3. Demonstrated outstanding oral and written communication in daily interactions. Proven ability to clearly articulate specific information in area of subject matter expertise. Proven ability to clearly articulate team mission, vision, and goals.
4. Demonstrate experience building, leading, motivating, and assessing, small professional teams. Knowledge or ability to learn HR principles and procedures, which may include recruiting candidates, training personnel, making compensation recommendations, and managing data in personnel information systems.
5. Ability to advise team on the implementation and modification of technological components of departmental or unit affairs. Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret information for senior University leaders. Ability to oversee team training and access University systems.
6. Ability to exemplify the University's educational mission, strategic aims, and programs.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=83804