Working Title: Lab Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pediatrics
Posting Date: 02-06-2018
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Virginia is seeking a Lab Specialist to provide technical lab support by performing complex lab and research related tasks. The incumbent will act as a specialist on research methods and equipment functions specific to investigations. The Laboratory Specialist performs complex experiments supporting the research protocols, including maintaining a mouse colony and planning and implementing breeding schemes. This position also provides training for students and other lab personnel; performs literature searches and presents findings at meetings; orders lab supplies; and cleans and maintains equipment.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, or a related science, and a minimum of three years of laboratory experience using molecular biology, immunology, or genetic approaches to address relevant scientific experiments. Experience gained as a student may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
4. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
5. Strong organization and communication skills.
6. Skilled in using small animals in research models.
7. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
8. Ability to modify and develop lab procedures.
9. Ability to accurately interpret and report findings.
10. Ability to independently conduct laboratory experiments.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=83823