Vice Provost for Global Affairs
Working Title: Vice Provost for Global Affairs
Position Type: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Department: Office of the Vice President and Provost
Posting Date: 02-23-2018
The University of Virginia seeks an innovative and dynamic leader for the role of Vice Provost for Global Affairs in the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost. The Office of the Provost is guided by a founding vision of discovery, innovation, and development of the full potential of talented faculty, students, and staff from all walks of life. We envision UVA as an environment where all faculty, students, and staff are active participants in its work, where those groups historically excluded from participation in University life are actively engaged in the spirit and mind of the university.
The Vice Provost for Global Affairs is charged with developing a strategic vision, designing outreach, overseeing international activities, and being the primary lead on global relations at the University of Virginia. This position is responsible for institutional development and oversight of university initiatives and global partnerships. In addition, the VP for Global Affairs is responsible for advancing the international profile and reputation of the university through enhancing the number and quality of international students attending UVA, working with schools to attract distinguished international faculty and staff, fostering global research and engagements, collaborating with global education units to build a continuum of educational offerings, and developing a wide array of services, programs, experiences, and strategic partnerships that promote global imagination within the university community. While this is an Administrative and Professional Faculty position, applicants who are tenured or tenure-track are encouraged to apply.
The Vice Provost for Global Affairs collaborates with campus leadership in the areas of research, advancement, education abroad, financial aid, as well as with departments, programs, centers, and administrative units that have significant global components. Additional key priorities include:
- Responsible for establishment of new and growth of existing university-wide initiatives and partnerships in teaching and research.
- Collaborate with schools, programs, and centers to create and manage successful strategic and meaningful international academic programs. Attract distinguished international faculty and staff.
- Successfully support and oversee various units that report to the Vice Provost to insure strategic alignment toward shared goals.
- Provide leadership and facilitate collaboration in the areas of education abroad, global education, and international students.
- Ensure compliance with current federal, state, and UVA policies and procedures that affect global affairs of the University.
- Provide intellectual leadership across disciplines with imagination and help to identify emerging opportunities in areas of such as humanities-science-social science collaboration or the technical, ethical, and social implications of digital futures.
- Perform other duties related to global affairs as assigned by the Provost.
- Engage with diverse external knowledge-makers including academic institutions, NGOs, think tanks, governments, and other entities.
- Program and resource development with an eye to articulating a vision and plan for global affairs in the Campaign for the Third Century.
A doctoral degree is strongly preferred, however, relevant and significant experience in the field may be considered by the University in lieu of a doctoral degree.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=83870