Lab Specialist 1
Working Title: Lab Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Ophthalmology
Posting Date: 01-25-2018
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Virginia is seeking multiple Lab Specialists to provide technical lab support by performing complex lab and research related tasks. The incumbents will act as a specialist on research methods and equipment functions specific to investigations. The Lab Specialist performs complex experiments supporting the research protocols, including small animal surgery and statistical analysis. The position also provides training for students and other lab personnel; performs literature searches and presents findings at meetings; orders lab supplies; and cleans and maintains equipment.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, or related science, and a minimum of three years of laboratory experience. Experience gained as a student may be considered.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to establish priorities to execute and perform experiments following approved protocols.
2. Ability to maintain records, analyze data, prepare written documentation, and make formal presentations.
3. Knowledge of laboratory techniques, and research matter expertise.
4. Ability to synthesize information, provide advice, and address needs independently.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills in daily interactions.
6. Ability to resolve issues and problems.
7. Knowledge of animal handling.
8. Excellent organizational and record keeping skills.
9. Knowledge of laboratory techniques.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=79499