Assistant Professor in Digital Media Strategies for Business (Tenure Track)
Job Title: Assistant Professor in Digital Media Strategies for Business (Tenure Track)
Job ID: 2018241
Location: Storrs Campus
The Digital Media & Design Department in the School of Fine Arts at the University of Connecticut (UConn) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in Fall 2018. The position will have a focus on Digital Media Strategies for Business including use of digital and social media platforms and course development in content marketing/engagement and digital analytics. The selected candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate level classes and develop and deliver core courses in the areas of: digital marketing, digital consumer behavior, online advertising, social media, mobile platforms, e-commerce, website and video strategies, content marketing and digital analytics. Courses are designed to be experiential in nature, providing students with hands-on experience in developing strategies and plans, and in creating digital communications assets for outside clients. S/he will serve as an advisor to students in the Digital Media Strategies for Business concentration. Excellent communication skills and a collaborative predisposition are essential. The incumbent will also support faculty collaborations conducted through the department and external client relations for purposes of business communications, marketing, branding, advertising and entertainment.
UConn is entering a transformational period of growth supported by the $1.7B Next Generation Connecticut (http://nextgenct.uconn.edu/) and the $1B Bioscience Connecticut (http://biosciencect.uchc.edu/) investments and a bold new Academic Plan: Path to Excellence (http://issuu.com/uconnprovost/docs/academic-plan-single-hi-optimized_1). We are pleased to continue these investments by inviting applications for the Digital Media & Design Department.
The Digital Media & Design (DMD) department is a uniquely interdisciplinary academic unit lead by faculty from the arts, business, STEM, and humanities fields. Established in 2013, this innovative and evolving department currently has 20 faculty members across two campuses (Storrs and Stamford), 350 undergraduate and 15 graduate students. DMD currently offers BA, BFA, and MFA degrees with the following concentrations:
1) Digital Media Strategies for Business (BA, MA)
2) Digital Humanities (BA, MA)
3) 2D Animation & Motion Graphics (BA, BFA, MFA)
4) 3D Animation & Visualization (BA, BFA, MFA)
5) Web Design & Development (BA, BFA, MFA)
6) Digital Game Design & Development (BA, BFA, MFA)
All of our concentrations place a strong emphasis on balancing theoretical teaching with collaborative, experiential learning. This best prepares our students for the challenges they may face when working in creative and business environments. The department has established strong working partnerships with large and small companies, start-ups, public institutions and charitable nonprofits that give students hands-on opportunities to create strategies and digital assets.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to research and scholarship through (in disciplines where applicable): high quality publications, presentations at prominent national and international academic conferences, extramural funding, impact as measured through citations, exhibitions, and/or national recognition as through honorific awards. In the area of teaching, a successful candidate will share a deep commitment to effective instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels, development of innovative courses and mentoring of students in research, outreach and professional development. Successful candidates will also be expected to broaden participation among members of under-represented groups; demonstrate through their research, teaching, and/or public engagement the richness of diversity in the learning experience; integrate multicultural experiences into instructional methods and research tools; demonstrate leadership in developing pedagogical techniques designed to meet the needs of diverse learning styles and intellectual interests.
- Terminal Degree in business, communications, design, psychology or other appropriate fields. Equivalent foreign degrees are acceptable.
- Demonstrated expertise in brand management and in the integration of digital marketing channels (websites, social media, video, email, apps) with traditional channels (television, print, and radio) in the marketing of products and services for business.
- Evidence of industry experience in the design, development and implementation of marketing plans for a product or suite of services.
- Experience with multicultural and/or cross-cultural marketing strategies for engaging diverse populations and communities.
- Evidence of hands-on industry experience using digital analytics and data in decision making. Experience of teaching how analytics and data are used by marketers, and the how-to application of the latest analytic and social media tools.
- Evidence of industry experience with Google Analytics (or comparable web analytics tool) and intermediate knowledge of search advertising planning and execution (including SEM/SEO).
- PhD, MS, MBA, MFA or MA in business management, marketing, advertising, design, digital communications or other appropriate fields.
- A record of distinguished teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Demonstrated professional/commercial experience with innovative digital media strategies for business.
- Familiarity with design principles, branding, graphic design and web design.
- Project management experience or functional knowledge of web/mobile design and development.
- Functional knowledge/usage of creative applications such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Adobe Premiere or their equivalents.
- Evidence of a deep commitment to contribute through research, teaching, and/or public engagement to the diversity and excellence of the learning experience.
- Active user of social media, especially Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure track appointment with a start date of August 23, 2018. Salary is competitive and based on background, qualifications, and professional experience. The successful candidate's primary appointment will be at the Storrs campus with the possibility of assignment at other UConn regional campuses or in on-line instruction as a part of their ordinary workload.
Applications can be submitted through the University of Connecticut UConn Jobs website (http://www.jobs.uconn.edu). Please submit the following and include your last name as well as search #2018241 in the document title for each document submitted:
- A cover letter specifically addressing your credentials relative to the minimum and preferred qualifications listed above,
- A complete curriculum vitae,
- A digital portfolio,
- A statement of teaching philosophy,
- A one to two-page research / scholarship statement
- A one-page commitment to diversity statement
- Names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on February 25, 2018. We will continue to review applications until the position is filled, but to insure full consideration, application materials should be submitted no later than March 20, 2018. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018241)
For more information regarding the Department of Digital Media & Design, visit http://dmd.uconn.edu. If you have questions related to the search, please send a detailed inquiry to [email protected], with DIGITAL BUSINESS FACULTY SEARCH in the subject line.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community. We actively encourage women, people with disabilities, and members of minority groups to apply. The University of Connecticut is an EEO/AA employer.