UNIX Server Administrator (Operating Systems Programmer Analyst 2), UCP 7, REPOST
Job Title: UNIX Server Administrator (Operating Systems Programmer Analyst 2), UCP 7, REPOST
Job ID: 2017262
Location: Storrs Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
University of Connecticut Information Technology Services is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, and highly skilled individual in the field of server administration. The successful candidate will serve as part of a team that provides a number of technical support services to the University community. The position will have primary responsibility for the installation, support, and enhancement of the UNIX and Linux operating systems, and enterprise level multi-tier applications including Oracle Middleware, PeopleSoft CS and HCM, Business Intelligence suites, and various web servers.
The range of support activities will be broad and will include complex problem solving, as well as maintenance level activities. Incumbents in this position are considered technical experts and are expected to have a thorough knowledge and understanding of Unix/Linux server operating systems. This position requires a strong interest in learning and supporting new technologies, the ability to deal effectively with a diverse client community, excellent verbal and written communication skills, a high sense of self-motivation, initiative, organization, and follow-through, and the ability to work both with minimal supervision and in a dynamic team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the design, planning, coordination, and installation of development and production IT architectures, including computer hardware and operating systems, to ensure minimum risk to systems or services due to errors.
- Responsible for the monitoring and maintenance of systems, including patching, tuning, problem diagnosis, log analysis, account maintenance, security configuration, resource utilization, scripting, and hardware configuration.
- Performs or assists with the installation, configuration, and management of software including UNIX/Linux operating systems, middleware, databases, web services, and other required products.
- Independently resolves complex systems problems.
- Develops automation for routine tasks, and implements procedures to analyze and improve the performance and efficiency of software, hardware and networking resources.
- Works with complex systems integration issues which will include activities associated with various computer platforms, such as operating systems, databases, web applications and web servers, communication and networking technology.
- Supports environments during defined maintenance periods as well as outside of normal working hours to insure minimal impact to users.
- Works closely with programming staff, database and application administrators, vendors, and functional users to implement improvements and resolve system issues.
- Creates and maintains documentation on technical procedures, methodologies, and architectural systems design.
- Participates effectively as a team member on technical projects with other IT related units within the University and consults, collaborates, and supports the end user community.
- Performs related duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- At least two to three years of highly technical and progressively responsible work experience in a computer related field which must include experience with UNIX or Linux operating systems administration, web and web application services, as well as scripting experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of enterprise hardware and software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Evidence of highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Evidence of the capability of meeting deadlines and working under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience with AIX 6.1+ and/or RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 or 7.
- Experience in networking, specifically DNS, Load Balancing, and Firewall management.
- Experience with TCP/IP Networking including VLAN management.
- Experience with recent versions of Oracle WebLogic, IBM WebSphere, and/or Apache Tomcat.
- Experience with PeopleSoft CS/HCM or PeopleTools, Oracle BI, IBI WebFocus, IBM FileNet, or other large scale enterprise software suites.
- Experience with Oracle RDBMS (11.2 or 12C) or PostgreSQL (9+).
- IBM Pseries hardware and virtualization.
- Familiarity with system, application, and network security concepts and practices, including authentication, authorization, and SSL.
- PHP, Perl, or Python.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate's background and experience. For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications and any preferred qualifications you may have for this position, and a list of contact information, including phone numbers for three professional references. Reference search # 2017262. Screening will begin immediately.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2017262)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern on September 4, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.