Director of Information Technology (Computer Manager), UCP 11
Job Title: Director of Information Technology (Computer Manager), UCP 11
Job ID: 2018335
Location: Storrs Campus
The Director of Information Technology for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) will serve as a leader with excellent strategic, operational and interpersonal skills. Reporting to the COO, the Director will envision, create and sustain the technology infrastructure to advance the missions in teaching, research and innovation for CLAS. The Director establishes unified responsibility for technology infrastructure and infrastructure support to serve a college of over 700 faculty members and 12,000 students. In addition, this position is the point of contact for the University's office of Information Technology, representing CLAS to them in all capacities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops effective working partnerships across the university with key stakeholders.
- Drives a continuous resource and technology planning process.
- Effectively communicates complex technical concepts to less-technical stakeholders in a clear and easily digestible manner.
- Determines requirements of users and potential users of computer and/or information technology/network services; assists in the determination of priorities and timetables and serves as a resource to users and staff in resolving problems and needs.
- Oversees technology purchasing including strategic planning for infrastructure renewal, ongoing computer replacements, server and server virtualization infrastructure, cost-effective solutions for academic computer lab and classroom updates as well as partnering with central IT on ongoing network upgrades across the college.
- Provides technical leadership in designing, developing and implementing a wide variety of computer solutions in support of research, teaching and administration across the college, requiring a thorough understanding of computer systems, data security and information management.
- Directs the activities of staff; identifies staffing needs and is responsible for hiring, supervision, training, evaluation, work schedules and work assignments; manages all routine personnel functions.
- Prepares and submits comprehensive project plans and supporting information to aid in effective short and long-range planning; makes recommendations based on analysis of current and future needs, new advances in the field, applicability of technology to University systems and most cost-effective delivery of services; and writes long-range planning documents.
- Oversees the development and ongoing maintenance of standards for the design, programming configuration, installation and documentation of information systems, design and implementation of operating systems, and/or network deployment and support (ensures adherence to same).
- Analyses, summarizes, reports on, and recommends changes for improved system performance, network balancing, workload balancing, resource acquisition and resource recovery.
- Plans and directs project work, including evaluation, selection and acquisition of hardware and software, as well as product installation, testing and documentation; interfaces with vendors as needed to ensure successful completion of projects.
- Represents the college's interests on university-wide and statewide committees, special interest groups (SIGs), projects, study groups and communications forums. Researches, reviews, investigates new and emerging technologies for trends in the computing and communication services industries.
- Develops training plans to ensure that new technologies are understood and fit into plans and enhancements. Evaluates and executes items consistent with the University's strategic plans.
- Demonstrates cross-discipline knowledge into other managerial areas.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and coordination with disparate internal and external units across the college and the university.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Five to ten years of progressively responsible experience in an innovative, collaborative, service-oriented and technically strong team as a creative thinker, problem solver and manager.
- At least three years of demonstrated managerial and supervisory ability.
- In-depth knowledge of computer security, operating systems, networking, hardware and software.
- Thorough understanding of information management and systems integration.
- Job history indicating growth and development in the field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and analytical ability.
- Master's degree in a relevant field and 10 years of experience.
- Experience managing IT in a university setting.
- Experience with IT audit and compliance practices. Experience implementing and managing HIPAA and FERPA compliance.
- A proven track record of successfully managing a complex and varied portfolio of user services, IT tools and infrastructure in a large, complex, and distributed environment along with the knowledge and willingness to stay on top of the latest industry developments and standards.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references via UConn Jobs, www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Indicate search number 2018335 on all correspondence. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018335)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on February 28, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.