Program Assistant- Educational Outreach (UCP 2)
Job Title: Program Assistant- Educational Outreach (UCP 2)
Job ID: 2018365
Location: New Haven County Extension
The College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources at the University of Connecticut provides for a global sustainable future through scientific discovery, innovation, and community engagement. Our accomplishments result in safe, sustainable and secure plant and animal production systems, healthier individuals and communities, greater protection and conservation of our environment and natural resources, balanced growth of the economy, and resilient local and global communities. We epitomize the role of the land-grant university which is to develop knowledge and disseminate it through the three academic functions of teaching, research, and outreach education. In so doing, we work to improve the lives of citizens of our state, region and country. At present, our workforce consists of 315 faculty and staff. We serve 2,406 undergraduate and graduate students. We invite applications from people who share the same vision of academic excellence and customer service.
The UConn Extension Center located in North Haven, CT is seeking applications for a full-time Program Assistant-Education Outreach (UCP 2). The Program Assistant will be responsible for promoting and carrying out community based nutrition, outreach and youth development programs with limited resource families and youth in New Haven County (in a designated geographic area). This position will provide 60% community field work and 40% administrative computer data entry assistance for the unit. The Program Assistant will work under the general supervision of the Expanded Food Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) supervisor. Evening and weekend hours will also be required based on program needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with supervisor to plan, organize and implement regional program activities, as directed, which may include working evening and weekend hours. Monitors day-to-day activities at each site.
- Works with supervisor to develop and implement a recruitment program.
- Collaborates with community agencies to establish partnerships.
- Under direction of supervisor, administers evaluation tools and conducts needs assessments.
- Writes reports as directed.
- Serves as contact with community and provides for informational needs such as publications, project program materials and educational opportunities.
- Promotes community based nutrition outreach and youth development programs through media and group presentations; recruits and provides educational opportunities for program members.
- May serve as project liaison to University offices/departments, public school officials and community agencies.
- May assist supervisor to provide academic, personal and financial advisement and to help maintain program caseload.
- Assists with identifying opportunities for grants and may assist with grant writing.
- Participates in staff meetings and in-service training, which may include evening and/or weekend hours.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in community nutrition or related field.
- Demonstrated background in community health and wellness, that includes experience working with youth or other disciplines related to program needs.
- Strong evidence of interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong technology skills that includes demonstrated use of Microsoft office and experience with data entry.
- Demonstrated experience with social media outreach.
- Willingness and ability to work weekend and evening hours as needed.
- Willingness and ability to travel within New Haven County for programming activities and related meetings.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish language.
- At least two years demonstrated experience with social media outreach.
This is a full-time (100%) position located at the New Haven Extension Center. This position is grant-funded and has an end-date that is subject to annual re-appointments contingent upon satisfactory performance and funding availability. The position will be based at the NH Extension Center, however regular travel within the region will be required. Occasional in-state travel to other UConn campuses, including Storrs, may be required in support of program needs. This position includes an outstanding full benefit package. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience.
To apply, please submit an online application that includes a cover letter, a resume and contact information for three (3) professional references via UConn Jobs at www.jobs.uconn.edu , Staff Positions. Please reference Search #2018365. Screening of applications will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018365)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on March 1, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.