Student Health Services Psychiatric Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (UCP 10)
Job Title: Student Health Services Psychiatric Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (UCP 10)
Job ID: 2018408
Location: Storrs Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The University of Connecticut, Counseling and Mental Health Services, is seeking applicants for an SHS Psychiatric Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) (UCP10). This is a 10-month (83%) position during the academic year from mid-August through mid-June. The Advanced Practice Registered Nurse assumes an independent clinical practice, performing acts of diagnoses and health care management as described in Public Act 99-168; interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive psychiatric care within the office of Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS), a department of Student Health Services on the Storrs campus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works as an independent practitioner under a collaborative agreement per Public Act 99-168.
- Conducts comprehensive health assessments of patients to diagnose and treat potential, acute and/or chronic mental health problems and medical/psychiatric risk factors.
- Responsible for individualized evaluation and assessment of clinical signs and symptoms, utilization of critical thinking in the establishment of a medical/psychiatric diagnosis for actual/potential health problems, and active management of health guidelines.
- Maintains accurate, legible, and confidential medical records. Documents medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care) standards, and IACS (International Association of Counseling Services).
- Orders and interprets laboratory and diagnostic studies for evaluation, clinical decision making and continued care of the patient. Independently prescribes, dispenses and/or administers appropriate medication, corrective measures and medical therapeutics within guidelines (scope of practice as defined in Sec. 20-87a).
- Educates and instructs patients on preventive care, medical/psychiatric issues and the use of prescribed medical treatments and/or prescriptive medications including schedule II though V controlled substances.
- Initiates emergency treatment of acute medical/psychiatric problems within guidelines. Facilitates and coordinates transitional or specialized care for patients who require services beyond the scope of SHS/CMHS.
- Serves as a resource and clinical consultant for other professional nurses and interdisciplinary colleagues. Provides written, verbal and/or telephone orders directing the patient medical regimen for execution by the registered nurse per Public Act No.03-8.
- Possess admitting privileges to the inpatient unit. Responsible for supervising patient care from admission through discharge, with required physician signature (Public Health Code 19-13-D43a, licensure of infirmaries operated by educational institutions).
- Participates in ongoing review and revision of standard guidelines used in clinical practice.
- Participates in the evaluation of the quality of care through a peer review process which is part of the Quality Assurance program.
- Presents clinically relevant in-services and coordinates interdisciplinary case discussions. Actively participates in working groups, teams and committees.
- May be required to provide medical direction, prescription medication, treatment and disposition orders as the "on-call" provider; required to be available for emergencies; may work weekends, holidays, variable shifts or be on-call on a rotating basis.
- May supervise and train graduate students in schools of nursing and allied health programs from the University of Connecticut and other graduate degree programs.
- Actively participates in regional and national professional organizations.
- Maintains clinically competent patient care through ongoing continuing education as required by national accrediting body to maintain current certification; learns uses and maintains competency with relevant and emerging technology as required.
- Acts as a liaison between students, parents and other related university offices in regard to academic and health issues.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Master's degree and three to five years' experience in nursing.
- Possession of a current/unrestricted licensure as both an APRN/RN in the State of Connecticut.
- Evidence of completion of a Nurse Practitioner program from an accredited educational institution.
- Current certification by a national accrediting body (ANCC-American Nurse Credentialing Center) as a nurse practitioner in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing prior to employment or within 6 months of employment.
- Current, unrestricted Controlled Substance Registration by both the State of Connecticut and Federal DEA.
- Current CPR/AED certification.
- Strong communication, human relations and organizational skills.
- Willing to work flexible hours.
- Experience in psychiatric care with late adolescent/collegiate population.
Please upload your cover letter indicating Search #2018408, current resume, and the name, address and telephone numbers of three professional references to UConn Jobs, www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Please apply online with compatible software as required. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018408).
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on March 2, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.