Academic Coordinator - McNair
Academic Coordinator - McNair
Position Number: 53073184
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Dahlonega
Job Close Date: 03/15/2018
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for an Academic Coordinator for the McNair Program. The Academic Coordinator for the McNair Program will oversee the tutoring and academic needs of scholars. The Academic Coordinator will host workshops for scholars, and work with faculty mentors to support McNair Scholars academic needs. This position is Grant Funded.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Academic Coordinator will:
- Tailor instructional and tutoring sessions to meet the learning needs of participants.
- Coordinate and lead general life and academic skill development workshops.
- Provide one-on-one tutoring for participants.
- Assist in monitoring student progress, coordination of general workshops and implementation of student activities and assist the Program Director as needed.
- Provide Academic Counseling.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have the ability to work with the target student population in areas of academia, career preparation, vocational awareness, and financial aid, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to assess student academic needs and create tutoring/academic plans.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required in an academic discipline, which supports McNair Scholars (STEM preferred). Master's degree preferred.
- Training or education related to serving disadvantaged students is preferred.
- One (1+) year experience in academic advising, academic counseling, and curriculum development in education preferred.
- One (1+) year experience working with low income, first generation and underrepresented minority students preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and organization skills required. Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, Unofficial Transcripts
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.