DIR, COMMUNICATIONS, STUDENT AFFAIRS
DIR, COMMUNICATIONS, STUDENT AFFAIRS
Resource Admin - Administration
Nature of Responsibilities
Develop and implement communications plans, policies, and processes for the Division of Student Affairs that result in content that effectively support the division's communications priorities and can be shared widely with the university community and public across multiple media formats. Lead the development and branding processes for websites, major projects, and publications. Serve on the University Crisis Communications Team and manage internal processes related to crisis and special event communications. Provide leadership to departments regarding effective marketing and communications strategies. Establish standards and provide oversight of editorial content for websites, publications, and other internal and external communication channels.
1. Develop and implement communication plans to identify objectives, strategies, target audiences, tactics and key messages for initiatives and projects. Consult with internal and external stakeholders to identify needs, discern objectives and in consultation with appropriate University partners, develop effective approaches to communications with students and other stakeholders. Assess effectiveness of communications strategies and modify approaches as necessary. (30%)
2. Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with Student Affairs units, including convening a working group of Division staff with marketing and communications responsibilities on a regular basis, to provide editorial guidelines and oversight related to websites, social media, publications, and other communication channels ensuring consistency of style and freshness of and usability of content in support of strategic and operational goals. (25%)
3. Manage the Division's visibility and presence online by overseeing and maintaining website content, design, functionality, enhancements, and ability to reach targeted audiences and markets. Review and modify the website based on website analytics and other diagnostics, synchronize with other promotional material within Student Affairs and Duke. (15%)
4. Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with the Duke Office of News and Communications (ONC), Office of the Dean for Undergraduate Education, undergraduate and graduate schools and departments, and other key communications contacts within the University. Work with these colleagues in the development, delivery, and assessment of key institutional messages to students, parents, and other internal and external constituencies. Serve on the University's Crisis Communications Team, coordinating critical messages with the Division's senior leadership team. (10%)
5. Oversee the Division's major communications efforts in print and digital media ensuring alignment with institutional messages. Provide consultation on the creation and/or revision of departmental publications or communications including determination of content and design as well as editing and production. Provide consultation to departments regarding the use of technical consultants, graphic designers, photographers, and freelancers as needed. Edit bulletins and other University publications containing information about Student Affairs. (10%)
6. Manage vendor relationships to produce content to support communication plans and goals for the department. (5%)
7. Coordinate format and presentation of background materials for key audiences such as senior administrators, Board of Trustees, and others including, but not limited to, reports and white papers. Oversee preparation and production of Division annual report. Lead internal communications efforts related to policies, processes, and operations. (5%)
8. Perform other duties incidental to the work described herein.
• Bachelor's degree in relevant field required.
• Minimum 4 years' experience in communications, public relations, marketing or other directly relevant field.
In addition, competitive candidates will
• Demonstrate successful experience in
o developing and implementing strategic communications programs across multiple media formats;
o developing communications plans, including crisis communications, with measurable outcomes and relevant assessment methodologies;
o developing and implementing branding strategies in print and electronic media.
o development and distribution of content within social media platform;
o execution of crisis communications, including developing communications plans for emergency events
• Preference for experience in Student Affairs, Admissions, or other student-focused department or organization.
Desired Skills and Competencies
• Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully in a complex environment to maximize creative thinking that results in new approaches or quality improvements.
• Consistent demonstration of culturally competent behaviors and attitudes.
• Outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills
• Proven ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and projects, and excellent time management skills.
• Understanding of design, construction, and delivery of electronic communications.
• Knowledge of graphic design and digital production applications.
• Ability to track, measure, and adjust work priorities using marketing analytics.
2903 DIR, COMMUNICATIONS, STUDENT AFFAIRS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field required.
Minimum 4 years experience in communications, public relations,marketing or other directly relevant field including writing andediting on assignment under deadlines. Experience in the developmentand implementation of branding strategies desired.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.