RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION SPECIALIST
RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION SPECIALIST
Vice Chair Research
- Provide support to customers by facilitating pre- and post-award processes for both the departments and the central areas.
- Perform basic reconciliation of assigned project budgets, prepare basic budget reports for review by PI and supervisors, prepare adjustments and corrections in assigned project budgets for further review and approval in order to meet project goals and federal requirements.
- May process invoices and provide Principal Investigator(s) with daily monitoring of grants and contracts to ensure expenses are being paid according to grants and contract(s) protocols.
- Assist principal investigators in budget preparation, budget revisions, budget reconciliation, or time extensions as needed. Inform PI and/or supervisor of any errors that arise in the reconciliation of monthly budget reports. Identify the need for cost transfers from budget reconciliation.
- Collect and compile information for grant proposal SPS data entry.
- Provides technical and administrative assistance during the negotiations, creation, and administration of grants and contracts.
- Prepare certain proposal elements (bio sketches and facilities &resources).
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable regulations, policies
- Process effort allocation appropriately for individuals compensated whole or in part from federal awards
- Implement awarded grant/contract budgets in university budgeting and accounting system.
- Monitor daily grant/contract project activities. Coordinates reporting requirements.
- Monitor proposal status and advise PI on requirements and deadlines associated with protocols. Monitor reporting and compliance timelines for new awards. Assist investigators in preparing necessary documentation for site visits.
- Reconcile financial information on Sponsor's reports to University general ledger, reviewing financial transactions posted to general ledger and other documents for Sponsor's terms and conditions and University's policies
- For industry funded projects, support the Revenue Management process
- Create and send invoices to sponsor as appropriate for negotiated fees and procedures, dictated by the grant or contract.
- Analyze indirect costs charged to sponsored project, make appropriate calculations, and process journal entries to correct indirect costs.
- Process JVs for internal SBR Fees or other such transactions
- Assist investigators in processing renewal applications for existing
- Prepare various financial reports as required by the Sponsor reflecting compliance with the Sponsor's terms and conditions, prepare adjusting journal entries for unallowable expenses, including over expenditures.
- Facilitate required financial transactions for grants and contracts (as necessary).
- Facilitate required close out transactions and activities
- Assist with special projects.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: May direct the work of lower level support personnel.
- Skills: Ability to work within a team environment. Proficient use of computers; requires solid working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Access,Excel, Power Point). Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.Ability to create verbal and written reports.
705 RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skillsgenerally acquired through completion of an Associate's degree program.Training: May be required to take FasTracks in areas of specificassigned duties
Work generally requires two years of relevant experience to obtainoffice organization, communications, and administrative skills.A bachelor's degree in a field of study directly related to the specificposition may be substituted for the education and experiencerequirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.