RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Under the supervision of the principal investigator and post-doctoral fellows, the Research Technician II will conduct a variety of routine and specialized experiments using molecular, cell biology and/or biochemistry techniques. The technician will perform basic mouse husbandry and experimentation, and record test results, and calculate, transcribe, and analyze data using basic statistics.
- Conducts routine tests following established procedures, which may include assays, DNA sequencing, tissue culture, protein purification, Southern blotting, PCR analysis, electrophoresis. May perform non-routine laboratory tests (i.e.: DNA sequencing, gene cloning, in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry) and synthesizes and interprets results.
- Uses standard research equipment such as microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, centrifuges. Operate and maintain moderate to complex lab equipment such as spectrophotometer, flow cytometer, etc.
- Researches and collects basic study data through monitoring devices and maintains daily logs/basic records of methodologies and test results. With supervision, using databases, may summarize data and interpret results using descriptive statistics and basic hypothesis testing.
- Assist with writing standard operating procedures for documentation and make informal presentations of these procedures to others in the lab.
- Performs literature searches and library investigations as they relate to the research and/or as assigned.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of the lab; maintain lab equipment and supplies.
- Perform other related duties and special projects as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant scientific field; a Master's degree is a plus
- 1-3 years related work experience is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with basic laboratory instruments and equipment, computers (databases, spreadsheets, statistics) and scientific procedures.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Solid written and oral communication skills with proven proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding the English language to follow basic safety and general instructions and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to apply them in routine situations.
- Team-oriented with the ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, and obtain information or deliver services.
- Must have a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other science related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.