RESEARCH & DEV ENGINEER II
RESEARCH & DEV ENGINEER II
Shared Materials Instrumentation Facilty
Manage the daily operation and maintenance regarding the Cryo-TEM and associated sample preparation equipment in the Shared Materials Instrumentation Facility (SMIF) of Duke University. Ensure exceptional service to the research community in a timely and efficient manner. Provide training, guidance and consultation to users of the Cryo-TEM and associated sample preparation equipment.
- Supervise and operate the Cryo-TEM and associated sample preparation equipment of SMIF on a day to day basis, including equipment operation and maintenance, user training, and student or staff time resources.
- Establish and implement maintenance procedures and schedules.
- Conduct microscope alignments and performance checks to ensure Cryo-TEM is operating at peak performance.
- Interface and coordinate with research teams to work together to meet research goals.
- Develop processes and techniques as required to meet research goals.
- Provide instruction, assistance, and consultation to faculty, students, staff members, and outside researchers regarding all equipment and processes related to the Cryo TEM and associated sample prep equipment.
- Perform or oversee Cryo TEM sample preparation services using a Vitrobot or other cryo preparation equipment.
- Perform or oversee sample imaging and data collection on a FEI Krios Cryo TEM for faculty, students, staff members, and outside researchers.
- Perform triage on equipment failures; fix equipment when appropriate; coordinate service with the SMIF Characterization Team Leader and vendors when needed.
- Provide resolution of technical problems related to the Cryo TEM and associated sample prep equipment.
- Lead in the creation and maintenance of operating procedures and other documentation in collaboration with the SMIF Characterization Team Leader.
- Coordinate and maintain lab supplies inventory required for operations of the Cryo-TEM and associated sample preparation laboratories.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education/Training: Requires a minimum of a Bachelor's degree (advanced degree preferred) in a Biological or Medical related science or engineering discipline. Work requires a knowledge of Cryo Transmission Electron Microscopy and associated sample preparation techniques.
Experience: Work requires two years of related Cryo-TEM or biological TEM experience.
Skills: Must be skilled in operating and maintaining a transmission electron microscope (TEM) and preparing biological samples and/or Cryo TEM samples for TEM imaging. Good interpersonal and communication skills are essential. Must have the ability to work with and trainstudents, faculty, and co- workers. Must have knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets, and be able to type correspondence and to log in data. Must be able to organize data and be willing to work with the SMIF Director in managing and maintaining the laboratory. The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
2210 RESEARCH & DEV ENGINEER II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a thorough knowledge of the principles of engineeringand related natural sciences acquired through completion of aBachelor's degree program in an Engineering science or a relatednatural science such as Physics or Chemistry. Due to professionalexemption, equivalent experience cannot be substituted for bachelor'sdegree.
Work requires two years of related experience sufficient to acquirecompetency in the application of knowledge in the related Engineeringfield. A master's degree in an Engineering science or a relatednatural science may offset the required experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.