This position reports to the Senior Director of Engineering Services and will be primarily responsible for the working with business customers to define business requirements and work with technical teams to design and development of information technology solutions for Duke Medicine. The position will provide technical leadership and expertise in a broad technology spectrum. The position will gather business requirements and design various technical solutions to meet the Duke Medicine business requirements.
- In collaboration with Duke Medicine business customers, understand the business strategy, business goals, and associated business plans to define business and technology requirements supporting the business strategy and business goals
- Responsible for working with Duke Medicine business customers to prioritize projects
- Develop technical design specifications and major technology initiatives involving a high degree of technical complexity. This requires working with various vendors and developing a comprehensive design specs aligned with Duke Medicine standards and processes.
- Plan and design technology, frameworks, processes standards and guidelines related to various Information Technology and Infrastructure architecture.
- Lead technical expert in a broad set of technologies that include infrastructure (networks, storage, systems), client technologies (including mobile apps and devices, virtual client technologies), security and authentication technologies (
- Work with business customers to understand workflows and business requirements and align with technical design.
- Develop integrated technology approaches that optimize the delivery of technologies and services at a cost competitive value to the business.
- Participate in projects and provide technical designs, cost benefit analysis, and execution plan for delivery.
- Provide technical expertise to various teams to include mentoring of technical staff in the technology standards and strategies.
- Service as Technical lead in aligning and maintaining technical designs/strategies to Duke Medicine IT plans.
- Participate / lead technology projects and technical teams.
- Conduct assessment and analysis of new technologies and service offerings to provide the most efficient and cost effective solutions.
- Maintain technical understanding of new technologies in healthcare, academic and research. This includes emerging technologies in the market as well as internal development opportunities.
- Maintain industry relationships to ensure utilization of current best practices, principles, techniques and policies.
- Maintain documentation and validation processes to ensure adherence to institutional, state, and federal policies and regulations.
- Provide tier 4 technical support - Lead technician will not be on scheduled FW rotations, but will be available as needed for tier 4 technical support.
- Interface to customers/vendors.
- Lead technical review boards.
- Project champion for policy/practice changes affecting technical population (e.g., changes in systems, networking, clinical applications, etc.).
- Mentor technical staff to enhance/expand technical skills and expertise.
- Create internal operating policies, processes and procedures consistent with IT best practices and service level agreements to ensure service availability.
- Develop and work with other DHTS/Department teams to implement best practices such as incident and problem management, change control procedures, site documentation and cross-training.
- Participate in the development of operating and capital expenditure forecasting for the purpose of assisting management to create budget plans.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education: Bachelor's degree in a related field, or four years of equivalent technical experience required.
Experience:Five years of operational experience in the following areas is required:
- Multiple Infrastructure technologies including virtualization technologies (server and Network) Storage and SAN, Network and security, mobile technologies.
- Design, implementation and maintenance, specifically in AIX, LINUX and Windows
- Systems and application monitoring and management tools, such as Tivoli
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:Preferred:
Desirable: VMWare, Microsoft Server, Red-Hat Linux, AIX,
A+, Security+, Network+ certification(s)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to follow change configuration management protocols and update systems documentation based on DHTS and industry best practices processes.
- Solid understanding of the IT industry primarily relating to Windows and/or UNIX operating systems, VMware, Citrix, server system architectures, storage systems, and system administration tools and best practices.
- Excellent technical skills to support the organization and assist team members across departments.
- Excellent analytical abilities and innovative problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills to interact with team members, customers, management and support personnel (technical and non-technical).
- Advanced knowledge of various technology monitoring tools
- Proficient with incident and problem management.
- Proficient with configuration management.
- Proficient with change control policies and procedures.
- Strong business skills with an attention to end user and customer satisfaction.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects, performed by a diverse group of professionals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong abilities to develop and enhance relationships with customers and internal groups.
- Ability to work across multiple teams.
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills while meeting impending deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and switch between tasks quickly during high stress situations.
- Broad interest in and knowledge of disparate but related information technology disciplines.
- Ability to consult and lead knowledgeable technical staff.
- Broad skills and experience across multiple technologies and strong project management background
- Capable of understanding business requirements and recommending technology strategies based on Duke standards and practices.
2427 CONSULTANT, IT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.