Professional Research Assistant
Laboratory Research Assistant
PRA Position 00741687 Posting 12108
The Barbara Davis Center (BDC) for Diabetes is a multi-disciplinary diabetes center affiliated with the University of Colorado, School of Medicine. The patient population spans the ages 1 to 70 years with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. The BDC also serves as a clinical center for TrialNet, an international, multi-center research organization with the goal of understanding the pathophysiology of type 1 diabetes as well as finding ways to prevent type 1 diabetes. Additionally we have many treatment and prevention industry sponsored clinical trials.
This position is full-time (40 hours per week) as a Professional Research Assistant at the BDC and involves working on clinical studies/trials as well as assisting other coordinators with their studies. Relevant projects may include several TrialNet studies as well as large, multi-centered intervention trials among individuals newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes to assess methods to preserve beta cell function.
This position reports to the Research Manager and Principal Investigators (Andrea Steck, MD and Peter Gottlieb, MD).
This position may occasionally involve functional supervision of student employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Process human biological samples for clinical research analysis: including blood centrifugation, aliquoting, preparation, storage, and shipping.
- Conduct analysis of biological samples to answer research questions: including hemoglobin A1C analysis, urine pregnancy tests, and blood glucose levels.
- Maintain laboratory compliance to safety regulations
- Data entry of biological sample storage
- Create and edit forms, tables, and queries in Microsoft Access database
- Contact and schedule participants for various TrialNet studies
- Track and analyze patient participation in various stages of the research protocol
- Manage supply inventory, order and stock supplies
- Collaborate with Team Coordinators and Investigators
- Organize and prepare participant charts for study visits
- Participate in local and central training sessions as required
- Ability to comply with all institutional policies and regulations
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in the life sciences or a research discipline
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be team-oriented, detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to work independently
- Knowledge and understanding of Research requirements for health care research
- Laboratory experience highly desirable
- Experience working with physicians and nurses
- Experience working with Microsoft Access database
This position works Monday-Friday with the possibility of occasional weekends based on the research subject and/or recruitment event schedules. Working one to two weekend days per month may be required. The position will be located at the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes on the University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical campus in Aurora, CO.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12108
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Dec 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Position Number: 00741687