University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Neurosurgery
Instructor - Advanced Practice Provider (NP or PA)
Position #652549 - Requisition 12645
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Colorado School of Medicine (CU-SOM) has a full-time clinical faculty position available for an Advanced Practice Provider. The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) will be a clinical faculty member of the CU-SOM, entering at the level of Instructor. This position encompasses inpatient medical care services for patients in in the neuro intensive care unit and will be required to work 3 mid-shifts (Noon-Midnight) per week with additional weekend and evening coverage. As a faculty member of the CU-SOM, opportunities for professional development may include precept of medical learners, education of nursing and medical staff, participation in quality and safety improvement projects, clinical research projects, and mentoring junior Advanced Practice Providers.
Responsibilities of the APP position include primary patient care of hospitalized cranial and spine patients. The APP will work with other members of the Neurosurgery service including APPs and residents and will provide patient consultation in the Emergency Department and on other services. Other duties include:
- Admitting patients to the hospital, performing history and physical exam, patient assessment, ordering appropriate labs, diagnostic studies, and radiology tests, and follow up and formulation of treatment plan of the ordered lab, studies, and tests
- Assisting with discharge orders, transfer orders and associated documentation
- Performing efficiently in emergency situations following established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate persons, and documenting events
- Performing designated procedures with hospital privileges after demonstrated competency and according to standardized protocols where applicable
- Establishing and maintaining communication with other health care providers and departments to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness and to promote consistency and continuity of care
- Triage urgent phone calls from outpatients after normal business hours
- Demonstrating responsibility and accountability for own professional practice
- Function as a clinical leader and educator in collaboration with physicians, nurses and others on the healthcare team
- Demonstrating knowledge of legal issues, including patient confidentiality and risk management, in all aspects of patient care and unit functioning
- Participating in research activities as requested
- Demonstrating a service philosophy in all interactions with patients, families, and other members of the health care team
- Demonstrating proficiency in the use of computers and telecommunication modalities to document, track, and convey information
- Attending weekly specialty conferences as permissible with clinical schedule
- Participating in quality and safety improvement projects as requested
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with a Master's degree in Advanced Practice Nursing or a graduate of an accredited program in Physician Assistant Studies
- Current active license to practice in the state of Colorado as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician Assistant. Prescriptive authority is required.
- Currently credentialed as an APN or PA by the appropriate national certifying body.
- 2 years of experience in inpatient or intensive care
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally
- Proven ability to care for high acuity, high complexity patients in the Neuro-ICU
- Desire to learn and perform procedures appropriate in the Neuro-ICU setting
- Ability to work individually and as a team to support team-based medical care in an APP/Physician/Resident Physician model
Special Instructions to Applicants:REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20335 - SOM-Neurosurgery
Posting Date: Feb 14, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Estelle Brock
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00652549