University Librarian and Director
University of Colorado Denver
University Librarian and Director
Position #350020 / Requisition #11417
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
The University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. CU Denver values the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
CU Denver seeks an innovative, visionary, inspired leader to serve as the University Librarian and Director of the Auraria Library. The Auraria Library serves the students, faculty and staff of three distinct higher education institutions - CU Denver, Metropolitan State University of Denver, and Community College of Denver - on one urban campus located in downtown Denver. While the position reports to the CU Denver Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Planning in the Office of the Provost, it serves over 42,000 students, faculty and staff of all three institutions on the Auraria Campus.
The Library has bold aspirations for supporting the three institutions' teaching, learning, research, and service missions where the library is "convener, communicator, creator, collaborator, and connector of innovative spaces for communities beyond the home campus - expanding conservation roles into generative and creative roles." A comprehensive $32.8 million facility renovation, completed in early 2017, brought interdisciplinary teams together to re-envision organizational outcomes, re-invent service models, and re-purpose facility spaces. With these new initiatives, the Auraria Library is cultivating intersections between educational technology, innovative learning spaces, digital media, digital scholarship, researcher support, research instruction, and public services.
This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position directly supervises three Associate Directors and works closely with faculty, students, and administration from all three institutions in planning, resourcing, implementing, and evaluating library resources, programs, and services. The Director empowers and enables all Library personnel in the decision-making processes through shared leadership principles and practices. The Director inspires and activates an energetic staff to ensure strategic and tactical alignment of Auraria Library resources with the missions of all three of the higher education institutions it serves.
The successful candidate will embrace these essential duties:
- Implement, evaluate and refine high-impact library services in newly-renovated spaces;
- Ensure the Library's services and spaces are inclusive, accessible and support the needs of a diverse and multicultural campus;
- Continuously seek avenues to optimize customer service through the application of innovative technologies, policies, and services;
- Employ shared and inclusive leadership principles to support decision making;
- Support all Library personnel in achieving a welcoming, affirming learning environment;
- Commit to continuously developing an organizational culture that advances diversity skills among Library staff and advocates for cross-cultural leadership;
- Articulate a positive image of the Library across campus and to community constituents;
- Enrich relationships with executive campus leaders and develop learning partnerships with academic and student support services staff across the three institutions;
- Collaborate with peers within the Library and across campus to foster student success and further the goals of the three institutions;
- Participate in scholarship to advance the profession;
- Continuously foster library development efforts, including grant seeking and fundraising; and,
- Participate in appropriate state, regional and/or national professional associations.
Successful candidates will have an intimate understanding of and significant experience in addressing the major challenges facing academic libraries today, including rapid changes in the discovery and access of data, information, and knowledge; creative and effective use of physical space; and, changing roles of academic libraries as places, purveyors of information, supporters of research and teaching, enablers of learning, and creators of knowledge. On the tri-institutional Auraria Campus, this requires open communication and consensus building across multiple constituencies with distinct aspirations and diverse goals. The Director joins CU Denver at a time of significant opportunity, with a newly re-invented Library organization in a renovated library facility well positioned to deliver high-impact programs and services.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located athttps://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Terminal degree (Master's) in library/information science from an ALA-accredited program or a related field
- A record of scholarship, librarianship/teaching and service sufficient to be appointed at the Associate Professor rank with tenure [http://www.ucdenver.edu/faculty_staff/faculty/faculty-affairs/policies-forms/Documents/Tenurecriteria2010.pdf] at CU Denver
- A record of progressively responsible higher education leadership experience in academic libraries, with substantial management skills in planning, finance, team building, and faculty and staff development
- A record of scholarship, librarianship/teaching and service sufficient for appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure
- Demonstrated high-level management success in an academic library, with responsibility for operation of multiple departments, including supervisory, planning and budgeting experience at the Assistant/Associate Director/Dean or higher level
- Experience engaging in advancement and communications/marketing in an academic library setting
- A track record of successfully designing, leading or managing the implementation of innovative and inclusive collections, programs and services in a higher education environment
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating shared leadership
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references). Questions should be directed to Beth Otis at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by November 3, 2017. Those who do not apply by November 3, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 20553 - AVC-OARS Administration
Posting Date: Oct 10, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Beth Otis
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00350020