Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner/Instructor
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner/Instructor
The Department of Family Medicine provides primary health care, educates medical and psychology students and graduates, conducts research and engages with l communities. This position will provide therapeutic evaluation and treatment of patients with behavioral, emotional and mental disorders at the Johnson Depression Center and in integrated care settings.
- Provide patient care using evidence-based pharmacology and psychotherapy to assess, diagnose and treat behavioral, mental or emotional conditions. Design and implement health promotion/disease prevention interventions.
- Prescribe psychiatric medication as appropriate.
- Facilitate group visits, teaching and supporting patient self-management skills.
- Communicate and collaborate with family and/or professionals to maintain and maximize quality of care for patients.
- Facilitate referrals for more significant mental health conditions. Provide team-based care with multidisciplinary teams.
- Work in integrated care settings, such as Family Medicine clinics, and/or Infectious Disease/HIV Clinics to provide integrated mental health services.
Teaching and Supervision
- Supervise behavioral health trainees.
- Review audio and video recording of clinic visits and provide medical precepting (supervision of psychosocial aspects of medical care) as needed to trainees.
- Support community partnerships by providing educational talks and training sessions.
- Maintains eligibility for School of Medicine Faculty.
- Keeps apprised of the latest developments in the field, both academically and through applied skill.
- Participate in quality improvement and practice transformation initiatives, workflow modification, and the identification and deployment of new efficiencies.
- May participate in clinical research projects (but not required to be a clinician-researcher unless pursuing traditional promotion path).
- Attends and presents at conferences, meetings and trainings in order to maintain certification and enhance professional skills; participates in faculty development activities.
- Accepts other responsibilities specifically assigned by the Executive Director and/or Medical Director.
- Master's Degree in Psychiatric Nursing from an accredited and approved program.
- Current ANCC credentialing in Psychiatric-Mental Health NP or Psychiatric-Mental Health CNS
Ability to obtain:
- A current, active, and unrestricted licensure as Colorado NP or CNS with prescriptive authority
- Prescriptive authority from the Colorado State Board of Nursing. Consideration will be given to candidates who have completed all requirements for this authority except for supervisory hours
- Medical Staff Privileges within UCH
- 2+ years' experience in clinical psychology, primary care or behavioral medicine.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Clinical skill is required for conducting brief and targeted assessments to provide psychotherapy interventions, health and behavior change, substance use treatment, and triage for appropriate level of care.
- Demonstrated skill in supervision of clinical staff and trainees.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Department of Family Medicine and clinic faculty and staff.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple tasks and maintain a well-organized work environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
- Capacity for flexibility and adaptability in different work situations, including prioritizing multiple priorities.
- Ability to work well with diverse populations.
- Experience training and developing staff.
- Basic computer skills including, e-mail, Word, Internet, and using an electronic medical record.
- Experience with integrated team-based care, particularly in a primary care based setting.
- Expertise in motivational interviewing, and evidence-based psychotherapies.
- Experience with Epic.
- Experience with telehealth.
Candidates with more extensive experience may be considered for a higherranking position.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12105
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20148 - SOM-Family Medicine
Posting Date: Dec 19, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Matt Mishkind
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00741685