Clinical Assistant Professor or Instructor
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder is the intellectual core of the university, conducting research, scholarship, creative work and education in more than 60 fields. Our research generates new knowledge, solving some of the world's most critical problems.
The college leads nationally in undergraduate and graduate education, bringing world-class research and scholarship to our students, both in and out of the classroom. The college is the academic home to all five of the university's Nobel laureates. Additionally, it is home to the university's four National Medal of Science winners, eight MacArthur "Genius Award" winners, 100 Fulbright Scholars, 17 Guggenheim Fellows, 14 Packard Fellows, 24 members of the National Academy of Sciences, and 23 members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. CU-Boulder is the only university in the Rocky Mountain region in the American Association of Universities, a group of the nation's leading research institutions.
Description of Department:
Located in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences offers a broad range of student training in speech & hearing sciences, clinical practice and research. SLHS offers an undergraduate major, a master's degree in speech-language pathology, a doctorate of audiology, and a Ph.D. program, among others. SLHS is searching for a full time clinical faculty member to serve as a supervisor of clinical educational experiences. The SLHS department has an in-house clinic where clients of all ages are seen for their communication needs. The MA-SLP program has approximately 65 students. This is a non-tenure clinical track position that will begin in June or August 2018. The Speech-Language Pathology Master's Program consistently is ranked in the top 25%, nationally, according the U.S. News and World Reports' ranking of speech-language pathology and audiology programs.
Overview of Job Duties:
The responsibilities of the clinical faculty member include clinical teaching of graduate students in the MA - SLP program. The clinical faculty member reports directly to the Chair of the SLHS department. The position is a full-time, 11 month position teaching clinical practice in areas of expertise as well as leading and participating in scholarship and service. The clinical faculty member may be considered for a Clinical Instructor or Clinical Assistant Professor rank on the Department's clinical career track.
Clinical teaching and supervision of graduate students in practicum in areas of expertise.
Clinical teaching in writing, assessment and diagnostics, intervention and prevention in area(s) of expertise.
Modeling clinical techniques.
Assisting in developing state of the art clinical practicum experiences for students in collaboration with the Director of Clinical Speech-Language Pathology.
Promoting the program and enhancing its visibility and reputation on campus, the region, and nationally.
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Colorado is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment and excellent benefits. Learn more about the University of Colorado by visiting https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from ASHA in Speech-Language Pathology
- At least five years of experience in clinical practice
- Experience in clinical teaching/supervision
- Experience working as an effective member of a collaborative team
- Expertise in best practices in clinical teaching
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communication including written communication
- Ability to interpret rules, regulations, policies and procedures to assure compliance
- Evidence of continual professional development
- Knowledge and skills consistent with the most current evidence based practice in area(s) of clinical expertise
- Proficient with computer applications such as MS Office, Google docs, etc.
Instructor, Clinical Teaching Track:
Clinical Teaching Requirements - Evidence of professional-level teaching (e.g., in-service teaching, lab instructor, supervision of clinical fellow or student interns, etc.).
Evidence of scholarship and service is preferred but not required at this level.
Assistant Professor, Clinical Teaching Track:
Clinical Teaching Requirements - The Clinical Assistant Professor demonstrates continued development of clinical practice and teaching skills through continuing education and/or advanced specialty certification. At least 1 year of experience consistent with that of a clinical instructor. The Clinical Assistant Professor has demonstrated accomplishments in clinical teaching, which may include formal college-level classroom experience, professional workshops, in-service training, or teaching in a clinical environment. The Clinical Assistant Professor should be able to demonstrate expertise in translating theory into clinical practice and in fostering critical thinking and problem solving.
Scholarship Requirements - The Clinical Assistant Professor shows the promise of being recognized as an expert in regional, state and national forums through creative program development, clinical writing, and /or other clinical publications and/or materials used in clinical teaching.
Service Requirements - The Clinical Assistant Professor shows the promise of being recognized for service contributions to the Department, College, state, professional, and/or scholarly associations.
- Experience serving as a clinical faculty member in a graduate MA-SLP program
- Experience with mentoring and clinical teaching
- Evidence of leadership in area(s) of expertise
- Experience with principles of supervision
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations related to clinical services
- Qualifications to be appointed at the Clinical Assistant Professor level
- Evidence of ability to teach effectively
- Evidence of experience with electronic medical records
- Familiarity with Medicare and Medicaid requirements
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin on date November 17, 2017; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For information regarding the large file size solution, a quick step guide can be accessed via http://www.colorado.edu/hr/sites/default/files/attached-files/cu_careers_-_large_file_size_uploads_-_quick_reference_guide_template_for_search_commitee_members_v3.pdf.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200, extension 2 or email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Statement of Teaching Philosophy, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the materials listed below in PDF format to this posting at www.cu.edu/cucareers with the following naming convention "LastName_FirstName_NameofDocument", i.e., Smith_John_CV:
1. Cover Letter, which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications (LastName_FirstName_Cover.pdf).
2. Current Curriculum Vitae (LastName_FirstName_CV.pdf). Please include details about responsibilities in different positions.
3. List of References, minimum of three individuals who may be contacted, upon review of your application, to submit written letters of reference upon request (LastName_FirstName_References.pdf).
4. Statement of Clinical Teaching Philosophy (LastName_FirstName_Teaching).
5. List of clinical assignments supervised or courses taught.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10216 - SLHS-Speech,Lang&Hearing Sci
Posting Date: Oct 20, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Gail Ramsberger
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00740704