Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Part Time 50%FTE position
Nature of Work:
This is a research position in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, The Program in Structural Biology and Biophysics, and the Computational Bioscience Program. The position supports the academic mission of these department and programs by providing technology support and strategic leadership in developing an effective computational environment for research programs in these departments involving Genomics and Genetic research.
- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Information Technology Professional
- Information System Management
- System Administrator
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provide consultative expertise for acquisition, upgrading and installation of hardware and software.
- Facilitate the application of new technology to enhance productivity.
- Design and develop Internet and intranet sites utilizing latest technology.
- Assist in the administration of HPC systems using XCAT and LSF.
- Assist in maintaining backup systems using Tivoli and Bacula.
- Install/administrate desktop and server systems with Linux, Mac, or Windows operating systems.
- Perform custom installation of GNU and commercial software on various platforms requiring setting compiling options, modifications to library linking and source code modification to meet end-user requirements.
- Postgres and MySQL database administration.
- Data recovery from failed storage devices.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Linux, and Mac administration.
- Working knowledge of Windows administration.
- Postgres and MySQL database administration skills including installation/configuration, backup/restores, performance monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of system security concepts pertaining to firewall administration, web application security and data sharing protocols.
- Apache and Tomcat server/application deployment and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of C\C++ compiling/troubleshooting on Linux, UNIX, and Mac platforms.
- Experience with SAN configuration and maintenance.
- Shell scripting.
- Experience with enterprise-level backup systems.
- Computer hardware diagnostics and repair.
- Working knowledge of HPC setup/management concepts.
- Ability to independently diagnose/resolve complex application failures.
- Working knowledge of batch-queing system environments.
- Experience in natural sciences and/or working with natural science faculty.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic environment.
- Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science, and at least 5 years of biomedical related research experience, or a MS or MA degree in a related field.
- Three to four years working in a research related IT position involving Genomics and Genetics.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 11892
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20085 - SOM-BioChem&Molecular Genetics
Posting Date: Nov 28, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: David Farrell
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00741313