Engineer, Assistive Technology - Assistant Research Professor
University of Colorado - College of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Assistant Research Professor
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Department of Bioengineering at UC Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applicants for a 1.0 FTE Assistant Research Professor interested in technology, disability and aging.
Nature of Work:
The successful candidate will perform and lead research at the interface between disability and aging and bioengineering. He/she will also mentor graduate and undergraduate students in bioengineering, and will teach disability and aging related courses in the bioengineering curriculum.
- Develop an independently funded research program in the area of assistive technology, with focus on disability and aging.
- Teach 2 classes per year in the bioengineering curriculum; exact classes to be determined in consultation with the Department Chair and Dr. Bodine.
- Mentor graduate (Master's and PhD) and undergraduate (BS) students as appropriate.
- Participate in Department of Bioengineering faculty meetings, events, retreats, seminar series, and recruitment events.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Required/Minimum Qualifications, Education/Experience/Skills:
1. Ph.D. in Bioengineering or related field
2. Post-doctoral experience in assistive technology, disability and aging research.
1. Record of grant writing and funding in the areas of assistive technology, disability and aging.
2. Experience in various computational simulation packages including MATLAB, SOLIDWORKS, etc.
3. Experience developing custom code.
4. Experience in teaching graduate and/or undergraduate students
5. Excellent communications skills.
6. Experience in managing funded research and development projects
7. Self motivation and ability to work independently and in groups.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12637
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30214 - ENGR-Bioengineering
Posting Date: Feb 15, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Cathy Bodine
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00718479