University of Colorado School of Medicine
Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics,
Section of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
Position #740970 - Requisition #11753
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Hem/Onc/BMT has an opening for a full-time Assistant Professor position. The successful candidate will have a schedule in which s/he works with other attending physicians on the Pediatric Hem/Onc/BMT services in the supervision of advance practice providers, fellows, and residents in organizing each day's inpatient rounds, procedures, and family conferences. The schedule is such that there is dedicated time for academic activity in Clinical or Translational research in any of the specialties, or other interests as developed by the candidate and agreed upon by the Section leadership. You will have approximately with 75% of your time spent conducting clinical research and 25% of your time spent as a faculty member practicing Pediatric Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant independently in the inpatient and outpatient setting.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provide independent care of pediatric Hem/Onc/BMT patients on the inpatient hospital service.
- Provide independent care of pediatric Hem/Onc/BMT patients in the outpatient clinic and infusion center
- Communicate with referring physicians regarding shared patients on Hem/Onc/BMT service
- Lead Hem/Onc/BMT advance practice providers (APPs: physician's assistants and nurse practitioners) in the care of both inpatients and outpatients
- Provide education and supervision to medical students, residents and fellows in the inpatient and outpatient settings
- Write admission, discharge, acute care, and chemotherapy orders in collaboration with other physicians and advanced practice providers
- Provide coordination of care between the inpatient and outpatient settings
- Participate in the treatment of patients on clinical research protocols
- Coordinate multi-disciplinary care with other hospital and outpatient services
- Coordinate and assist with education of new patients and families
- Participate in Quality/Safety, Process Improvement Initiatives and conduct investigator initiated research studies in the field of pediatric bone marrow transplantation
- Provide educational support to nursing and support staff
- Perform procedures independently:
- Lumbar punctures with intrathecal chemotherapy administration
- Bone marrow aspirations/biopsies
- Skin or simple tissue biopsies
- Bone marrow harvests
- Ommaya access with chemotherapy administration
- This position will also have shared holiday, weekend and night call responsibilities
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- MD or DO;
- Board certified or board eligible in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology;
- Active or the ability to attain before start date: Colorado state license and DEA certification;
- Training and expertise in pediatric Hematology, Oncology and/or BMT.
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check
- Continuous Maintenance of Certification is required;
- Maintain a current Colorado State Medical License and DEA certification;
- Meet all Children's Hospital Colorado credentialing requirements and continuous active medical staff status.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to independently care for and manage complex Pediatric Hematology/Oncology/BMT patients in an academic setting;
- High customer service skills, team-based patient care, and ability to meet productivity targets are expected.
- Experience in independent care of pediatric hematology/oncology/BMT patients for at least one year after completion of Fellowship training;
- Pediatric BMT subspecialty training preferred (can substitute for a year of experience listed above)
- Record of sustained independent funding of clinical research or laboratory work, with preference given to candidates who have secured at least one cycle of renewed funding.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Nov 21, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lia Gore
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00740970