Assistant Director of Development - Alumni Philanthropy
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Advancement
Assistant Director of Development - Alumni Philanthropy
Position #741646 - Requisition 12019
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Advancement has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Assistant Director of Development - Alumni Philanthropy position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The CU Anschutz Office of Advancement seeks a dynamic, passionate, results-driven professional to join our team. The assistant director will contribute to the strategic efforts resulting in enhanced alumni philanthropic participation directly benefitting programs that support the academic enrichment at CU Anschutz. The assistant director will passionately articulate the needs, values and priorities of our schools and colleges through excellent informal and formal presentations, persuasive oral and written cases for investing, and various key programs and priorities. As a member of the advancement team, this position will work collaboratively with colleagues, volunteers, administration, faculty, alumni and staff in the thoughtful and deliberate cultivation of internal or external donors. Through individual outreach, communications, and events, you will have the opportunity to learn the interests of potential donors and share the impact of CU Anschutz in order to cultivate deeper relationships with prospects on behalf of the university. The Assistant Director will be a key driver in the growth of the School based fundraising activities through the identification and development of leadership gift donors, prospects and alumni.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Reports to the Director of Development and is responsible for the solicitation of alumni capable of leadership gifts greater than $1,000 and up to $24,999.
- Manages a portfolio of between 100 and 200 donors and prospects and is expected to meet specific goals for contacts and completed solicitations.
- Primary focus will be closing current-use gifts or gifts to existing university endowments.
- Will write effective solicitation letters and proposals and will work with the Director of Development to encourage alumni philanthropy, with primary focus on the School of Medicine and College of Nursing in the first year.
- May, in close partnership with the Director of Development, collaborate with other school based development officers, by providing programmatic support in leadership giving arena. This would include the College of Nursing, School of Pharmacy, Colorado School of Public Health, and School of Dental Medicine.
- Will actively contribute to the strategic planning, as well as coordinate outreach to alumni and other constituencies to ensure that communication with these groups is effective and fundraising is maximized.
- Contribute to documentation and analysis of annual giving and engagement metrics, evolving program design through evaluation.
- Solicit and assess donor and alumni feedback and conducts best practices reviews of leadership giving at other institutions.
- Collaborate on the expansion and implementation of a cohesive, campus-wide leadership giving effort which provides donors access to information and experiences that deepen their relationship with the university.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience, but is expected to be $60,000-$70,000.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- 1-3 years of combined professional experience in fundraising, sales, events, public relations, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of combined professional experience in fundraising, sales, events, public relations, or a related field.
- 1-3 years of experience in leadership giving.
- Previous track record in securing charitable gifts in the $1,000 through $24,999 range.
- Experience in alumni, community, or external relations.
- Experience with stewardship and/or cultivation.
- Experience with engagement metrics, including analysis.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Strong development skills including comfort with cold calling, leading effective one-on-one visits, and utilizing multiple modes of communication to achieve results.
- Demonstrated ability to make thoughtful decisions while identifying needs of donors.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to be both proactive and responsive in a metrics driven environment. - Ability to handle sensitive information discretely and maintain confidentiality.
- Appreciation for the adoption of new technology to enhance workflow and ability to learn new platforms quickly.
- Flexibility and adaptability to evolve programming in an emerging and changing environment.
- Personal computer proficiency, especially Microsoft Office Products: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint; and EllucianAdvance.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Travis Leiker at [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by December 31, 2017. Those who do not apply by December 31st may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21560 - ADM-EVC Foundation Anschutz
Posting Date: Dec 6, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Travis Leiker
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00741646