*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Pediatrics, Administration
Grant Specialist (Research Services Principle Professional)
Position #694890 - Requisition 05878
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Grant Specialist (Research Services Principal Professional). This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for support the Department of Pediatrics, one of the largest Departments in the School of Medicine that is rapidly growing. This Department only houses 38 sections including over 1,100 faculty members and over 1,500 employees. The Department of Pediatrics also has in excess of $69 million in grant awards annually with over $43 million from the NIH (#1 ranked NIH funded Pediatric department in the country). In FY2014 the Grant Specialist was responsible for research grant and contract activity in excess of $22 million, over 70 Principal Investigators and over 100 active grant awards.
This Grant Specialist is part of a team of five Specialists that oversee and manage grants for the entire Department of Pediatrics. The major function of this position is to provide comprehensive administrative and sponsored program financial management support to approximately 10 sections and their Principal Investigators/designees within the Department of Pediatrics. This will include fiscal, contractual, and operational responsibilities for the efficient operation of the grant management process. This position will also be responsible for working closely with other Department of Pediatrics research support personnel within the individual sections in order to provide training, guidance and oversight.
Examples of Work Performed:
(A) Prepares complex, multiple year budgets and reviews prior to submission.
- Prepares salary budgets utilizing employee compensation rates, appropriate fringe benefit rates, and approved escalation rates.
- Prepares budgets for federal, state, university and private sponsors for grants, fellowships, contracts, clinical trials, and industry contracts.
- Advises PIs of budget restrictions and applicable indirect cost rates for various locations and types of proposals.
(B) Prepares and submits all subcontracts for sponsored projects.
- Prepares subcontracts and applicable standing purchase orders per established guidelines.
- Tracks routing of subcontracts from initiation to submission to recipient.
(C) Routes grants and contracts for signatures as per established deadlines.
(D) Interacts with PI's on the preparation of both sponsor and institutional forms to ensure all submission deadlines are met.
(E) Maintains current files and section logs on all grant applications and approvals.
(F) Advises investigators on sponsor's instructions regarding the application, grant budget, allowable costs, and applicable indirect cost rates.
- Keeps abreast of changes in application instructions for federal sponsors.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive calendar that includes all grant start, end and renewal dates, as well as all report submission deadlines.
- Maintains knowledge of current and new UCHSC and funding agency policies.
(A) Activate Grant Accounts
- Reviews notice of grant award with PI making note of any special restrictions.
- Requests creation of new account numbers appropriate to funding source and activity.
- Confirms that budget information is set up according to approved budget.
- Reviews rate and application of F&A costs for total budget and subcontracts as per sponsor's instructions
(B) Contract and Subcontract Administration
- Establishes subcontracts as per notice of grant awards with participating institutions.
- Facilitates the submission and payment of invoices in a timely manner.
- Works directly with Subcontractor, PI and Post-Award Office to resolve issues.
- Notify PI of contractual issues and potential problems.
(C) Payroll and Funding Distribution
- Works with PI to establish correct funding and effort of personnel for each sponsored project.
- Reviews funding of section employees on monthly basis; runs payroll reports to confirm correct funding and distribution; investigates and resolves errors working with Payroll and Benefits.
- Makes funding changes each month per payroll deadlines.
- Maintains list of salary funding for section employees; updates as necessary.
- Prepares retroactive payroll expense transfers as per institutional policy and the PI's direction.
- Assists with completion and timely submission of PER forms.
(D) Reporting to PIs
- Meets with section PIs on a monthly basis.
- Reviews of revenues, expenditures, available balances and encumbrances.
- Prepares and submits all journal entries, distribution of funds as needed.
- Develops reconciliation processes and communicates any changes to the PI's.
- Assists PI's on problems as they occur and document trends.
- Presents quarterly reports to section heads that list budget and cash balances for all active grants, any inactive grants with outstanding issues, grants expiring over the next fiscal period, and grants submitted during last 6 months for PI and central administration.
- Attends local and national conferences and trainings regarding sponsored research programs.
- Participates on committees pertaining to process improvement, strategic planning and organizational development as requested.
- Prepares ad hoc report on grant award data for Chair of Pediatrics, Vice Chair of Research, Chief Research Officer and other management requests.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range has been established at $58,410 - $65,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.jobsatcu.com/hr/postings/true.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
• Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in Accounting, Finance or Business related major.
• Two (2) years of experience preparing detailed budgets, expense reports and financial projections.
• Experience preparing contracts, subcontracts, project agreements, and/or memorandums of understanding.
• Experience using integrated accounting, purchasing and payroll systems.
Substitution: Equivalent experience may substitute for the Bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
Condition of Employment:
•Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado.
• Must be willing and able to pass a criminal and sex offender background check.
• Five (5) or more years' of professional experience working in government, non-profit and/or academic administration.
• Experience in pre- and post-award contracts and grant administration.
• Experience managing payroll deadlines.
• Experience interpreting and applying policies from multiple levels of authority (federal, state, and institutional) and serving as a resource for others.
• Experience using spreadsheet, word processing, email and calendar software.
• Experience leading meetings, presenting financial reports and/or making presentations to management.
Competencies / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Organizational skills and attention to detail are of the utmost importance.
• Time management, independent thought, problem solving, and communication skills are essential.
• Demonstrated ability to self-manage priorities and be proactive in resolving issues.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a high level of tact and diplomacy.
• Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community and with individuals at all levels of the organization.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. *REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three (3) professional references. Questions should be directed to Jeanette Leeser at Jeanette.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Jan 22, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jeanette Leeser
Posting Contact Email: Jeanette.email@example.com
Position Number: 00694890