The University of Colorado Boulder Police Department welcomes you to apply for an exciting Security I position. We are looking for caring and responsible individuals who wish to help provide public safety service to a diverse and active college community. We have three part-time openings available.
As a Security I at CU Boulder, you will receive excellent benefits including:
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 10 paid holidays
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- EcoPass for free RTD rides
- An unparalleled retirement plan
The main function of the Security I positions focuses on providing access control for campus buildings by routinely locking and unlocking buildings and providing security patrol. Strong problem solving and judgement is required to address issues that arise.
Work includes ensuring that equipment is operational, enforcing agency rules and regulations, writing reports, and assisting law enforcement officials as needed. This position must communicate regularly with building proctors, facilities management, and other campus resources, regarding the security program and must maintain regular liaison with the Police Department and Events and Safety Services, especially regarding any irregular or suspicious activity.
Who we are:
The UCPD is a full-service police agency providing community-based public safety services to a diverse community of 36,000 affiliates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year long. Every year the department responds to approximately 20,000 calls for service. The members of the University of Colorado Boulder Police Department (CUPD) are dedicated to providing the highest quality police services in order to enhance community safety, protect life and property, and reduce crime and the fear of crime. To do this, we pledge to develop a partnership with the community, to lead a community commitment to resolve problems, and to improve the safety and quality of life for all CU affiliates.
What your key responsibilities will be:
The Security I position is an important and visible position that is responsible for helping to maintain a safe and secure environment for all CU students, faculty, staff, and visitors. This is a Uniformed and visible assignment that actively patrols university academic buildings on foot and motor vehicle, communicates frequently with the public, and provides assistance as needed.
- Provide security patrols. This position will routinely unlock and lock buildings according to route books, maintain visible and routine security patrols, and complete required paperwork.
- Report safety & security concerns of students, faculty, and staff. Work closely with police officers to resolve conflicts and provide top notch community service.
- Routinely check all exterior academic building security doors to ensure they are in operating condition. Report malfunctioning door locks, burnt out lights, storm damage, and other maintenance problems in a timely manner.
- Detect violations of Colorado Law, Municipal Ordinance, and CU Policies to include contacting suspected violators when appropriate, investigating, and writing complete and accurate reports.
- Detect suspicious activity, suspicious persons, and other circumstances that could jeopardize community safety.
- Maintain logs by completing all required reports in an accurate, professional and timely manner. This includes both routine patrol logs and lengthier incident reports.
- Other duties may include: Special Assignment during emergency conditions, hazardous conditions such as storms, and maintaining security during planned Special Events such as CU Football, Basketball, and Dignitary Visits. Work may include assisting with administrative duties (i.e. answering phones, data entry, copying, collating materials, etc.), Parking and Transportation related duties (directing traffic, placing and moving cones, etc), or be manual labor in nature (i.e. moving cones to storage, moving traffic barricades, etc.). Additionally, driving a company vehicle may be required.
- Daily Shift Logs
- Incident Reports
- Theft Prevention Reports
- Open Door Reports
- Work Orders
- Safety Issues
EQUIPMENT USED (Department Provided):
- Police Radio
- Duty belt
- Keys / Key Swipe Cards
- Mountain Bike
- First Aid equipment & other safety equipment
What you should know:
This is an essential services position.The incumbent is required to respond after hours, during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Work Hours for each of the three positions is as follows:
1st position: Thursday, Friday, Saturday: 9:15 PM-2:15 AM; and Sundays: 10:30 AM-5:30 PM (nights and days)
2nd position: Saturday-Sunday: 8:00 PM- 2:00 AM; Monday-Wednesday: 7:00 PM-midnight (nights)
3rd position: Saturday- Sunday: 6:00 AM- 6:00 PM (weekend days)
What we can offer:
Hourly salary starting at $17.00 plus a 10% night shift differential pay (9pm-5am).
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be proactive. Be engaged. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Must be a Colorado Resident to apply.
- Must successfully complete a criminal and motor vehicle background check.
- There are no education or experience requirements for entry into this position, but good writing skills are essential for writing required reports, as well as basic computer skills.
- Must be willing to work weekends, nights, and holidays in all types of weather and conditions.
- Available to work overtime when needed (i.e., providing security for special events, athletic events, and in case of disaster).
- Must have a valid driver's license and complete campus safe driving training session.
- Must be willing to wear a department supplied uniform.
What you will need:
The successful candidate will possess/demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Investigative skills.
- Written communication skills.
- Ability to walk up to 7 hours of an 8-hour shift.
- Ability to repetitively ascend and descend stairs.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Basic computer and data entry knowledge.
- Good judgment with the ability to enact sound decisions.
- Professional and Reliable.
- Able to work well with others.
- CPR/First Aid Certification or ability to become certified within one year of employment.
What we'd like you to have:
- Previous experience in loss prevention, criminal justice, military, law enforcement or security is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or higher.
- Degree or higher education credits in criminal justice.
- Experience with basic data entry into a computer system.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by March 15, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-12564.
Please do not upload references at this time. Special instructions and information for Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10539 - CU Police Department
Posting Date: Feb 22, 2018
Closing Date: Mar 15, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00730746